The home of raw meat, cooked food, drinks, and kids lunches - the fridge is one of our useful appliances, but also one that needs a lot of care. Learning how to clean a fridge is vital if you want to keep this household superhero safe and free from contamination. That’s why we’ve collected these tips on cleaning the fridge: to help you keep your family safe, and your fridge shiny.
How to clean the fridge: Step by step
Why not try these methods to get your fridge in shape?
- It may seem obvious but remove all food before starting. Even if you’re only using natural products, you don’t want to be reaching around objects. Having an empty fridge makes the process so much easier and removes the possibility of contamination.
- Take out all removable parts, such as shelves and drawers. Fill a basin with warm water and add a squirt of dishwashing liquid. Leave these parts to soak before wiping and rinsing. Two of the most effective variants of Sunlight dishwash you can use here are Sunlight Extra Anti-Bac which cleans and ensures the prevention of germ growth and Sunlight Extra Anti-Odour with 100% natural fragrance oils which eliminates 5 tough odours.
- Wipe all surface areas either with a combination of Sunlight dishwashing liquid and warm water. Use a microfibre cloth or a good quality sponge – these cleaning tools will not fall apart and leave little particles behind in the fridge.
- For stubborn stains, mix a small amount of baking soda with a little water to produce a thick paste. Apply the paste to the stain and leave for an hour before wiping with a damp sponge or cloth. The baking soda should loosen the stain, making it easy to wipe away.
Cleaning a fridge: what to use?
Know how to clean a fridge but not sure what with? Here’s a quick and easy overview of what is suitable for this cleaning job, and what isn’t.
- Although some kitchen cleaning products, like gentle surface wipes, can be used on this appliance there may be easier options. Dishwashing liquid is a household staple and a great kitchen cleaner when combined with warm water.
Tip! Upgrade your usual dishwashing liquid to one of the Sunlight products like Sunlight Extra Anti-Bac or Sunlight Extra Anti-Odour. Designed to degrease easily, it also contains natural ingredients you can trust and will help kill bacteria on your sponge and banish strong smells from your fridge in no time.
- Some kitchen cleaners simply shouldn’t be used in the fridge such as bleach or anything containing strong chemicals.
Remember: you’re going to store food here so you want to make sure you eliminate any risk of contamination as ingesting bleach can lead to severe illness.
- Natural products can be very useful when cleaning a fridge. Regular baking soda is great for removing stains and absorbing bad odours while white vinegar gives a good shine to any stainless steel elements. The only downside is you may have to put in a little extra elbow grease to remove all the dirt!
Top tip: Try switching to a dishwashing liquid inspired by nature to get the best of both worlds, like Sunlight Extra Anti-Bac with lemon mint or Sunlight Extra Anti-Odour with Japanese matcha tea.
How can I stop the fridge getting dirty?
To reduce the hassle when fridge-cleaning time rolls around, try these daily tips:
- Check through the products in your refrigerator and throw out anything that is out of date. Mouldy foods can contaminate other items so bin them straightaway!
- Clean up any spills. These are a common cause of bad fridge odours.
- Keep a small plastic box filled with baking soda at the bottom of your fridge. It will help to absorb any strong smells so that your fridge always smells fresh.