Key steps to spotting a fresh avocado:
If you want to learn how to keep avocado fresh, you need to know how to tell the difference between a ripe and unripe one first!
- Look at skin colour. Darker skin makes for a riper avocado.
- Gently press the avocado. A firm fruit isn't ripe while one that yields under pressure is.
- If your avocado only feels a little soft then it's almost ripe.
A versatile ingredient that’s super tasty and a great alternative to fatty foods, avocado is a must in everyone’s kitchen - but how do you keep it fresh? Learning how to preserve an avocado may sound difficult as these green treasures seem to turn brown and mushy very quickly but there are plenty of things you can try.
How to preserve avocado ... with storage
The best way to keep your avocados fresh and ready to eat is by storing them properly when you buy them.
- If you plan on eating an avocado within a few days, you should keep it on the kitchen counter away.
- Always store an avocado away from bananas and apples as they actually accelerate the ripening process.
- Store a ripe - or almost ripe - avocado in the fridge.
How to keep avocado from turning brown ... with onion
Sulfur dioxide is known to do a great job of preserving fruits so it's no surprise that it can help you learn how to prevent avocado from turning brown.
- Onions contain lots of sulfur so you can use them to help preserve your avocado.
- Cut one in half and place it in a sealed, airtight container with your avocado.
- Keep it sealed overnight and your avocado should be fresh and green in the morning.
How to stop avocado going brown ... with lemon and lime
Cut avocado ripens quicker than uncut fruit but it can still be salvaged. The trick is to learn how to stop avocado going brown by using lemon or lime juice.
- Sprinkle a little lemon or lime juice over your avocado - not too much or you’ll add a citrus flavour.
- Seal it in an airtight container or tightly in plastic wrap.
How do you keep avocados from going brown ... with boiling water
Did you know you can stop avocados from going brown with nothing more than boiling water?
- Lower your avocado into a pan of boiling water for 10 seconds.
- Remove them carefully and place immediately in a bowl of ice water - making sure the fruit is completely covered.
- Once cooled, remove it and dry with a kitchen towel before cutting up and storing in a container.
- If you leave them in the water for any longer than 10 seconds and your fruit will start to cook, which you definitely don’t want!
So, how do you prevent an avocado from turning brown? Well - there are many ways, actually. We recommend testing out a few different tricks to see which works best for you.