No one likes getting mould or mildew in their house – not only is it unsightly and smelly, but it also can pose serious health problems for people with mould allergies, lung disease, or immune disorders.
The kitchen and the bathroom are two of the most common places for mould and mildew in the home, as these are the areas where moisture and warm air are most likely to be produced – from activities like boiling your kettle, for example, or having a shower. Thankfully, getting rid of mould and mildew in these areas is relatively easy if you have the right tools. In addition to commercial mould and mildew removers, there are a variety of natural options available.
Using a Commercial Mould and Mildew Remover
Using a commercial mould and mildew remover is often the simplest option, as these sprays require no prior preparation and generally contain bleach as an active ingredient, effectively fighting and eliminating the spores that cause mould. A store-bought spray is therefore a great option for particularly severe areas of mould, or for those rushed for time.
When using such sprays, always remember there are a few safety precautions you should bear in mind:
- Always follow the instructions on the label, and use the product as directed.
- Wear rubber gloves and old clothes when using a bleach product, as it may stain your clothes or irritate your skin.
- If you do get any spray on your skin, then immediately rinse with water and seek medical advice if necessary.
- Keep children out of the affected room until the cleaning job is done.
- Make sure the area that you are cleaning is well ventilated.
- Test all products on a small inconspicuous area first to ensure there will be no staining or other adverse effects.
Now that you’re safely protected, you should follow these easy steps to remove mildew and mould:
- Place a cloth or towel on the floor below the area that you plan to clean to ensure that the spray doesn’t run down onto your floor.
- Spray the areas where mould and mildew are present and wait a couple of minutes for the product to take effect.
- Once you see the product starting to disappear, take a cloth, soak it in a bowl of hot water, wring it out and then wipe away the spray. Making sure you don’t have too much water on the cloth, as this can make the paint or wallpaper on your walls bubble.
- Alternatively, you might like to use a damp paper towel to wipe away the spray. This is a practical solution as the paper towel can then be thrown away, rather than needing to be rinsed like a cloth.
After repeating these steps a couple of times, the mould or mildew should be gone, and then you just need to leave the room to dry, ensuring it’s well ventilated, so moisture can continue to escape.