What Stain Remover Works Best for Scorch Marks?
It’s easy to be over-zealous with the iron sometimes, especially when trying to remove a stubborn crease. This can leave nasty scorch marks that you may think are impossible to remove – but we can help!
- Cut a white onion in half
- Scrub the mark with the fleshy side of the onion, saturating it as much as possible
- Leave for 1 hour
- Soak the stain in water to rinse
After this, you can launder your clothes as normal. Why not use a fresh-smelling softener, like Comfort, to help eliminate any lingering onion odours?
Removing Mildew and Mould Stains
Wet towels, forgotten laundry or humid conditions can create a breeding ground for mildew and mould spores, but what stain remover works best?
- Gently scrub away mould and mildew marks with a clean toothbrush
- Mix one cup white vinegar in a bucket of cold water and soak the clothing for 1 hour
- Wash the clothing as normal – by hand for a traditional method or in the machine for a modern twist
To help remove musty odours, you may want to use a fragrant washing detergent or fabric softener in your wash. You can find other tips on removing musty smells from clothes and your home in this article.
Paint Stain Removal
Paint stains can be difficult to tackle, so the trick here is to act quickly, and before the paint has dried, if possible. The exact method you need to use depends on the type of paint you are dealing with, but here is a quick overview:
- Scrape off any excess paint gently, taking care not to smudge the stain further if it is wet
- Flush the stained area with warm, not hot, water
- Blot water-based paint stains with rubbing alcohol or nail varnish remover. Remember to take all safety precautions and check your care label first
- Place a cloth under oil-based paint stains and blot the stain with white spirit or turpentine. Again, check the care label and follow all safety precautions
- To finish cleaning oil-based paint stains, saturate the affected area with a little detergent before leaving it to soak in hot water overnight
Once these pre-treatments are over, you can wash your clothes as normal.
With these cleaning tips, getting rid of common stains on your clothes will be easier than you thought. Sometimes the old remedies really are the best so why not give them a go next time you need to know how to remove a stain from clothes?