Shoes can get smelly over time, especially during summer when high temperatures lead to sweaty feet. Fortunately, there are practical ways to solve this problem and avoid embarrassment when taking your shoes off: just follow our instructions and learn how to remove a bad smell from shoesincluding advice on how to wash them.
How to get rid of smelly shoes: 5 easy hacks to remove a smell from your shoes
Learn how to remove odour from shoeswith these 5 hacks using everyday household products!
1. Remove smells from shoeswith baking soda
Baking soda is a fabulous natural deodoriser and versatile cleaner. Follow the steps below to use it to get rid of smells in shoes and read our article on baking soda cleaningfor more tips.
- Pop a few tablespoons of baking soda into a coffee filter.
- Tie the top with an elastic band. Repeat twice – one for each shoe.
- Leave the baking soda filters in your shoes overnight to absorb smells and moisture.
- Add a new scent by mixing in a few drops of your favourite essential oil.
2. Try citrus-scented essential oils to banish bad smells
These oils don’t just help neutralise bad odours, they also add a nicer smell.
- Get a cotton ball or two for each shoe.
- Soak each cotton ball in lemon or another citrus essential oil.
- Pop the cotton balls into your smelly shoes and leave them overnight.
3. Prevent smelly shoes be keeping them dry
The best way to learn how to remove smells from shoesis to not get them smelly in the first place! Prevent bad odours by eliminating common causes, such as sweat and moisture.
- Properly dry your shoes before storing them.
- Air dry them naturally in the sun where possible.
- Place dehumidifier packets in shoes that will be in storage for a long time.
4. Remove smells from shoesby eliminating bacteria
Bacteria is what will cause your shoes to smell so an easy hack to get rid of smelly shoes is to prevent bacteria from growing.
- Place your shoes in a zip lock bag.
- Pop the bag into the freezer.
- Leave overnight. The cold temperature will kill bacteria.
5. Learn how to remove odour from shoeswith simple soap
Thanks to its porous nature, a simple bar of soap can also act as a quick odour eliminator.
- Place a clean, dry bar of soap into your shoe.
- Leave overnight.
- Remove and brush any flakes from your shoes – the soap should remove nasty smells and leave a fresh scent instead.