Even if you’re diligent about rinsing your crockery and cutlery before placing it in the dishwasher, food will inevitably get trapped inside, clogging up your dishwasher’s filter and spinners, making for a smelly and inefficient wash. A clean dishwasher means longer life for your trusty machine and better results when it comes to the cleanliness of your dishes. Here’s how to clean dishwashers thoroughly, with the minimum amount of fuss.
Before you get started, be sure to protect your hands and clothes and read the instructions on any products you plan to use as well as the manufacturer’s manual. Unplug the dishwasher, too!
How to Clean the Inside of a Dishwasher
- Remove the wire baskets, the filter, and the filter cover. Soak these in hot soapy water and then clean with a soft sponge scrubber to remove any built up dirt, then rinse in cold water
- Use a damp micro-fibre cloth and Jif Antibacterial Spray to remove any grease and debris from the walls and floor of the dishwasher. Jif Antibacterial also kills bacteria such as Salmonella, E. Coli & Listeria, and Staphylococcus aureus.
- Take an old toothbrush and scrub around the outsides of the door and into any crevices.
- Use a soft cloth and clean water to get rid of any additional debris. Don’t forget to wipe out the inside of the detergent compartment.
- Make sure the holes in the spinners aren’t blocked so that water can flow freely through your machine. Use a toothpick or tweezers to clear any clogged holes.
- Replace the clean wire baskets, filter, and filter cover.
- Run the dishwasher empty on the highest temperature setting with a dishwasher cleaner, one cup of white vinegar, or your regular detergent tablet.
- The inside of your dishwasher should now be squeaky clean.
As you can see, there’s really not much to cleaning dishwashers. If you want to keep it in the best of shape, you should also:
- Rinse your dishes! Yes, this is important to keep your rotator arms and filter food-free.
- Select products that are appropriate for your machine and the hardness of the water in your area (follow the instructions on the label).
- Refrain from over filling your machine. To reduce wear and tear and increase the water circulation and therefore effectiveness of your machine, make sure crockery and cutlery are stacked with space in between!