Graffiti can be a fantastic art form … until it’s on your walls! Fortunately, we’ve got some tips for how to remove graffiti that’ll help you get rid of any murals from your interiors.
Removing graffiti: what you’ll need
How to remove graffiti from exterior walls and surfaces
Exterior house walls are probably the most common canvases for rogue graffiti artists, and removing graffiti from porous surfaces like brick, concrete, and wood can be a bit tricky.
- Put on protective gear like face mask, glasses and gloves
- Spray the solvent on a hidden part of the wall to check that it works with the material and doesn’t leave any stains
- Spray the graffiti stain and leave the product to dissolve the paint for a few minutes
- Use the rough side of the sponge to rub the stain
- Use a pressure washer or hose with hot water to wash off the graffiti
- Repeat the method as necessary
Extra tip: Make sure your spray bottle is clean to avoid accidentally mixing chemicals during the graffiti removal process.
Removing graffiti from interior walls and surfaces
If graffiti is the result of your little ones making a mess indoors, then you can try this graffiti removal method. It works well for non-porous surfaces like vinyl or plastic.
- Put on protective clothing
- Apply your chosen cleaner to the graffiti stain – Domestos can help to bleach stains on white surfaces while Jif can act as a gentle cleaner for coloured surfaces. Always test your cleaner on a small area first to check it is safe to use
- Leave your cleaner to work for a few minutes then rub the stain with a damp cloth
- Repeat as necessary until the stain is fully removed
- Dry the surface with a clean cloth after removing graffiti
Extra tip: For really stubborn stains, try applying a solvent like nail polish remover or hand sanitiser with a paper towel. Leave it to work for a few minutes and wipe with a damp cloth.
Equipped with these graffiti removal tactics, you won’t have to worry if your home undergoes an unexpected redecoration. And if your unwanted artwork is caused by permanent marker, then we can help with that too!