- Brush off loose dirt and mud.
- Never use a washing machine, dry cleaners or tumble dryer to clean your jacket.
- Wash with cold water only.
- Always air-dry.
- Reproof your jacket to maintain its waterproof qualities.
- Always use a specialist to provide any repairs to your wax jacket.
Barbour jackets are quite expensive and often treasured items, so they need to be washed carefully to prevent premature wear and tear. Plus, the wax coating on Barbour jackets gives them a waterproof quality so it's important not to wear this down in the wash. Read on for our top tips for how to clean a Barbour wax jacket gently and effectively.
How to wash a Barbour jacket: The dos and don’ts of how to wash a wax jacket
When it comes to learning how to wash a Barbour quilted jacket or other wax jackets, there are a few important dos and don’ts you should be aware of.
- DO start by brushing off any loose dirt and mud.
- DO always use cold water for cleaning your Barbour wax jacket.
- DO wash by hand, using cold water and a cloth to wipe off any marks.
- DO air-dry your jacket to preserve the waterproof quality of your jacket.
- DO use a specialised wax dressing if you choose to reproof your jacket at home. Alternatively, you can send it to Barbour or a specialist who will be able to do it for you.
- DON’T use hot water, as this can damage the waterproofing wax and oils.
- DON’T wash your wax jacket in the washing machine as even the gentlest of cycles could damage the wax coating.
- DON’T tumble dry your wax jacket as the heat can remove the all-important waterproofing wax and oils.
- DON’T FORGET to reproof your jacket to ensure you prolong its life and maintain the waterproof qualities of the wax coating.
- DON’T make repairs to your jacket yourself. If you notice that there are rips, holes or other issues which need addressing, make sure you send it to a specialist to ensure it is properly taken care of.
How concerned are you about disinfecting while cleaning?