- Never use biological, enzyme-based detergent on delicate fabrics such as silk and wool.
- Pre-treating a stain before putting it in the wash can sometimes yield the best results.
- If you’re unsure as to how to tackle a stain, take your item to a professional cleaners to avoid damaging your clothes.
We all know how important a high-quality stain remover is in keeping your clothes looking pristine for as long as possible. The power of detergents, like Persil, is designed to fight even the most stubborn marks but is Persil’s power ever too powerful?
As long as you know what to look out for, you can harness this powerful cleaning without damaging your clothes. Here’s everything you need to know about safe stain removal.
Has your lifestyle during the Covid-19 lockdown affected the type of stains you get on your clothes?
Removing stains safely: What to watch out for
- Use the right detergent. Some stain-busting products aren’t safe for use on certain fabrics. Biological, enzyme-based, cleaners have great cleaning power but should never be used on fabrics such as silk and wool. If you’re not sure whether the product you want to use is safe for your clothing, check the instructions on the packaging and the care label on the garment.
- Use a gentle touch. It’s tempting to scrub at stains, but too much enthusiasm can damage your garment’s fibres, making it more prone to wear and tear when you put it in the machine. Avoid rubbing the stain directly with your fingers or a cloth and take care when working your detergent into the fibres.
- Be careful with bleach. Bleach is a great help in removing stains, but it needs to be handled with care. Some bleaches can be used on colour-fast coloured fabrics as well as whites, but it’s still important to check the care label on your garment first. If you’re not sure, test the product on an inconspicuous part of the garment first.
- Know when to seek professional help. Most stains can be successfully treated at home, but if you’ve tried everything and the stain is still there then it’s better to ask a professional about treating your stain, especially if it’s on a delicate fabric.
There you have it – everything you need to know about keeping your clothes safe as you remove tough stains! Check out our clothing care tips for more information on how best to use the power of Persil to get your clothes looking like new.