Having a dust allergy is a struggle for lots people, but there are steps you can take to keep it at bay. When it comes to understanding how to stop dust allergies, it is important to know first the symptoms and then how you can combat them with simple, easy tips you can follow.
What causes a house dust allergy?
A house dust allergy is caused by dust mites. These are tiny bugs that live in house dust, feeding on dead skin cells you and your family shed every day. They can survive anywhere in the world, under most any conditions; but thrive in warm environments around 21°C with 70% humidity.
Breathing in the waste products of dust mites can cause your immune system to kick start in high gear. It produces antibodies and its overenthusiastic response may cause the symptoms associated with a house dust allergy.
What are house dust allergy symptoms?
House dust allergy symptoms are easy to spot and include:
- Runny nose
- Itchy, red and / or watery eyes
- Congested nose
- Itchy throat, nose and / or roof of your mouth
- Facial pressure and / or pain
Top tips for how to get rid of dust in room corners and clothing fibres
Knowing how to get rid of dust and how to prevent dust from returning is key to relieving symptoms of a house dust allergy. Follow these steps to make an easy job of it:
- Dust and hoover at least once each week, taking care in regularly used areas and not forgetting to clean behind and under furniture.
- Use a quality detergent like Persil to clean your bedding weekly and your pillows, curtains, and duvets every few months.
- Keep your home well-ventilated, as fresh air will relieve house dust allergy symptoms.
- Use extractor fans in your bathroom and kitchen, as these will clear the air.
- Use good cleaning products like Cif to clean surfaces you use often such as bathroom and kitchen counters.
- An air purifier is a great way to remove dust and other allergens from your home.
With these easy tips, you should now know how to remove dust from room surfaces and relieve house dust allergy symptoms. Dust is an everyday part of every household so can’t be avoided completely, but you can take steps to avoid having an adverse reaction to it in your home.