- Turn off the water, boiler, and immersion.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the tap cover.
- Use a spanner to remove the valve.
- Use a spanner to remove the washer.
- Replace the washer with one the same size.
- Put the tap back together.
- Call a professional if you have ongoing tap issues.
A dripping tap can cause a lot of annoyance, but fortunately it’s simple to fix if you know how to change the washer. This article will teach you how to change a tap washer with a detailed step-by-step guide for you to follow.
How to change a tap washer: a step-by-step guide
There are many different taps in our homes, but we’ve got a method that works for most types. Read on for our step-by-step guide to how to change a ceramic tap washer – or another tap type.
What you need
- Flat-headed screwdriver
- Old towel, cloth or rags
- Tap washers
How to replace a tap washer
- Turn off the water supply. Some sinks will have an isolation valve underneath, otherwise turn it off at the mains.
- If you’re here to find out how to change a tap washer on a mixer tap or hot water tap, turn off the boiler and immersion heater, too.
- Put the plug into the plug hole. That way, you won’t lose screws or tap parts.
- Place an old towel, cloth or rags into the sink to protect the surface against parts being dropped.
- Use the screwdriver to remove the tap cover.
- Once the valve is exposed, remove it with the spanner. For stubborn valves, cover it with a cloth and use a wrench.
- Beneath the valve is the tap washer, which will be secured with a screw or nut.
- Using a spanner, remove the tap washer. For stubborn washers, use a penetrating oil to soak the area and loosen the washer.
- Replace the old washer with a new one, ensuring that it is the same size.
- Replace the tap parts in the same order you removed them. Take care not to overtighten the valve to prevent causing damage.
- Once the water is turned back on, you should have a perfectly working tap once again! If you’ve changed the washer because the tap was leaking, and you’ve still got the same problem, read our article on how to fix a leaky tap.
- Learning how to change a washer on a mixer tap follows the same steps, but you should be aware that some modern mixers are washer-less taps, so you may need to look up an alternative fix if this is the case!
When it comes to understanding how to change a washer on an old fashioned tap or a modern tap alike, it’s important to follow the method step by step as things could go wrong if you mix up the method. If you’re still having trouble or concerns about the process, call in a professional.