- Freeze your jar: the wax should just pop out.
- Alternatively, pour boiling water into the jar. Allow the wax to melt and float to the top.
- Want to know how to remove wax from many glasses at once? Place them all upside down on baking parchment in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Finally, you could try using a bain-marie.
Once your candle has burned down, you can reuse the pretty glass pot or jar that it sat in! You’re probably wondering how to get candle wax off glass, and cleaning the jar might seem like a bit of a challenge. This article offers various tips and hacks for how to remove candle wax from glass, from freezing it off to melting it in a bain-marie.
Four hacks for how to remove candle wax from glass
1. How to get wax off glass by freezing
- Follow these easy steps for removing wax by freezing:
- Cold causes wax to harden and shrink. This will make it easier to remove.
- Put the candle into your freezer.
- Leave for 2-3 hours or until it’s fully frozen.
- Once frozen, the wax should simply pop right out of the jar.
- If necessary, loosen the wax with a butter knife.
- Remove any residue by scraping it off.
- Clean the container with a good quality washing-up liquid and water.
2. How to clean out a candle jar using boiling water
In just five steps, boiling water can help you remove lingering candle wax.
- Cover your kitchen side with a cloth or scrap paper and place your candle on top.
- Fill your glass jar with boiling water,, with a small gap from the top of the jar to the level of the water.
- As the wax melts in the boiling water, it will detach and bob to the surface.
- Allow the water to cool before removing the wax. Use a strainer to pour the water away, this will catch any fragments of wax as these could block a drain.
- Clean the container with washing-up liquid and water.
3. How to get candle wax off glass with an oven
This is a great way to clean out several containers at once.
- Use a knife to remove large chunks of wax.
- Turn the oven on to 180 degrees.
- Use 1-2 layers of baking parchment to line a rimmed baking tray.
- Put the candles on the tray upside down and pop it into the oven.
- Leave for around 15 minutes or until the wax is fully melted.
- Take them out of the oven and place onto a heat-proof surface.
- Use a pot holder or oven gloves to hold the candle jar, then use a rag to wipe the inside out.
- Allow the jar to cool then wash with washing-up liquid as before.
4. How to remove wax from glass with a bain-marie
- This is a quick and easy method to choose.
- Add boiling water to a large pot or bowl, resting it on a heat-proof surface.
- Place the old candle inside, without getting water into the jar.
- Leave it there until the wax is soft.
- Loosen up any stubborn wax with a butter knife.
- Remove the glass jar from the water.
- At this stage, the wax should just pop out.
- Wash with washing-up liquid and water.
By choosing one of these four easy tricks, you now know how to clean out a candle jar and remove all the wax from inside. Now why not upcycle your old jar into something new like a make-up brush holder or hanging planter.