As much as having pets may be a great addition to your family and home, if they catch fleas it can be super tricky to deal with them and to prevent the flea infestation from spreading. From tips for how to get rid of fleas in every area of your home, to flea control to prevent the pests coming back, you will find all the tips and tricks you need right here.
How concerned are you about disinfecting while cleaning?
What are fleas?
Fleas are small, wingless insects that jump from host to host and are usually brown in colour. They live and feed on the blood of mammals and birds, like the cats and dogs you may have in your home.
Why should you get rid of fleas?
There are three reasons why you should get rid of fleas:
- Flea bites can cause major discomfort for not only your pets but also you.
- Fleas can transmit tapeworm.
- Fleas can travel from your home to another if you have visitors.
How to get rid of fleas
Getting rid of fleas is easy when you follow these simple steps around your home. If you have a minor flea problem, simply doing a deep clean of your home including:
- Wash blankets, bed linen, and cushion covers even if you haven’t seen fleas in those areas.
- Wash any removable sofa covers, pet beds and anything else your pets come into regular contact with.
- Dust all surfaces thoroughly.
- Hoover all carpets and sofas thoroughly, but be sure to empty it away from the house as the fleas may still be alive.
- Wash all floors with antibacterial cleaner.
- Use a flea spray around your home, taking particular care in areas you pet spends most of their time and those you have seen fleas. Make sure you also treat your pets so they don’t bring the fleas back in.
If in doubt about whether you have fully cleared your flea problem or you have a major infestation, you can hire a professional pest controller to do the job for you.
Steps for flea control after you have rid your home of the pests
There are a few simple steps that you can take to prevent fleas returning to your home:
- Make sure you treat you home and garden again three to four weeks after your first treatment to ensure that you kill fleas at all life stages.
- Keep your pet’s flea treatment up to date.
- Regularly wash your pet’s bedding in warm soapy water or some Persil Bio Liquid on a hot wash as this not only kills off any fleas and eggs but will stop musty pet smells filling your home.
- Regularly clean and disinfect your home using antibacterial sprays such as Cif Power & Shine Anti-bacterial Multipurpose Spray to prevent fleas having anywhere to set up home.
Now you have key steps to help you get rid of fleas you can keep your home and pets pest free with a bit of flea control and ensure that you are prepared at all times to deal with them if needed.