Are you wondering how to get rid of fruit flies? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. These little critters get into kitchens all the time and are pretty annoying house guests. Here’s everything you need to know when it comes to the how to catch fruit flies and how to prevent them coming back in the future.
Fun fact: Female fruit flies can lay up to 600 eggs each, so deal with the problem as soon as you can otherwise you could have a fruit fly infestation on your hands!
Fruit fly traps
Often the best way to get rid of fruit flies is with a home-made trap. There are lots of different options, but most involve using a common household product to attract the flies, then trapping them. Here are a few different ideas:
- Put apple cider vinegar in an open jar. Take a piece of kitchen towel, fold it into a funnel and place it in the neck of the jar. This will attract the fruit flies in, then stop them from getting out.
- Alternatively, if you don’t have apple cider vinegar to hand, use stale wine instead.
- Put a candle in a dark room in a tray of water. Flies will head towards the light and then sink into the water (just be sure to always supervise a lit candle!).
- Use fly catching tape. Hang it from the ceiling and near any food.
- Get yourself a carnivorous plant such as a venous fly trap
How to prevent fruit flies
So you know how to get rid of fruit flies, but you might be wondering, where do fruit flies come from in the first place? The answer is that they are attracted from the outdoors to people’s homes by certain chemicals that are released by food and germs. Here’s how to prevent them coming your way again:
- Don’t store any food openly
- Get rid of rotting or mouldy food as soon as possible
- Don’t leave dirty dishes out
- Wash fruit and vegetables before you put them away
- Keep a secure lid on the rubbish bin
- Avoid standing pools of water – for example, in the sink
- Keep the temperature cool, especially in the kitchen
- Don’t leave damp cloths lying around
- Clean out your drains regularly
Those are our top tips to get rid of fruit flies. Remember: a clean kitchen is a fly-free kitchen, so clean regularly and you’ll be able to enjoy your home without these unwanted little guests.