- Vacuum up ladybirds and seal them in a bag in the bin.
- Use white vinegar to kill ladybirds.
- Call in a professional for an uncontrollable ladybird infestation.
- Prevent ladybirds returning with citrus, cloves or bay leaf scent.
- Make sure your home is full sealed to prevent entry.
Ladybirds do not pose a threat to people or buildings but a large number of them inside a house can be disturbing. Plus, when they feel under threat, they sometimes produce a foul-smelling liquid which can stain furnishings. This article will show you how to get rid of ladybirds’ nests is found in your home; and how to keep them at bay.
How concerned are you about disinfecting while cleaning?
How to get rid of ladybirds in the house: 5 methods for removing ladybirds at home
If you discover you have a ladybird infestation, these steps will show you how to get rid of ladybirds in your house quickly, easily and even naturally.
- Use the vacuum. If you want to clean up a ladybird infestation, the vacuum will do the trick. Simply vacuum them up, and empty the vacuum into a bag, which you can seal and bin to prevent them from coming back to your home.
- Use white vinegar. Put some white vinegar into a clean spray bottle and spray any ladybird-infested areas. This will kill the ladybirds and remove the pheromones which attract more ladybirds. Take care to sweep or vacuum up dead ladybirds.
- Washing-up liquid and water make a great homemade trap. Fill a small bowl with water and add a drop of washing-up liquid. When placed near a lamp or bright window, ladybirds will land in the bowl and not be able to escape.
- Create a light trap. If you’re wondering how to get rid of ladybirds in window frames or other dark spots: use light! Ladybirds are attracted to light and so will come out of the dark spaces towards the light, where you can deal with them using one of the methods above.
- Hire a professional. If you find that DIY ideas for how to get rid of ladybirds aren’t enough to rid your home of a ladybird infestation, contact a pest control professional.
How to keep ladybirds away: 4 methods of ladybird prevention
Now that you know how to get rid of ladybirds, this guide will help you prevent them from returning to your home.
- Fill your home with citrus scents. Citrus oils are a great way to deter ladybirds. Spray citrus oil around windows and doors and use citronella or citrus-scented candles.
- Fill a bag with cloves and bay leaves. A small plastic bag with a combination of clothes and bay leaves placed near places you previously had ladybirds enter your home can stop them wanting to come close.
- Close up any entrances. Make sure you seal up any holes in brickwork, fix broken window frames and weather-proof window and door frames. This will help to keep not only water and cold air out but also ladybirds!
- Use window and door screens. These are a great way to stop any insects getting into your home, not just ladybirds! You can buy them pre-made or order made-to-measure, professionally fitted ones.
Now you have some top tips for how to get rid of ladybirds in houses, as well as tips to keep them at bay. Did you know we have a whole series of articles on home pest removal? Check out our articles on how to remove silverfish, how to get rid of fruit flies or even how to get rid of woodlice.