Make sure the room is well-ventilated.
Follow the safety precautions for your chosen mould and mildew remover and read the directions on the label.
Take preventative measures to stop mould from recurring.
No one likes getting mould or mildew in their house – not only is it unsightly and smelly, but it also can pose serious health problems for people with mould allergies, lung disease, or immune disorders. Moreover, recent academic studies have found that mould can make symptoms of asthma sufferers significantly worse and can actually cause asthma or allergic reactions.
The kitchen and the bathroom are two of the most common places for mould and mildew in the home, as these are the areas where moisture and warm air are most likely to be produced – from activities like boiling your kettle, for example, or having a shower. Thankfully, getting rid of mould and mildew in these areas is relatively easy if you have the right tools. In addition to commercial mould and mildew removers, there are a variety of natural options available.
To maintain a healthy household, mould and mildew needs to be kept at bay. Commercial mould and mildew removers containing bleach, like Domestos, are great for killing mould spores. Remember to always follow the safety instructions when using bleach.
Using a mould and mildew remover
Using a commercial mould and mildew remover is often the simplest option, as these sprays require no prior preparation and generally contain bleach as an active ingredient, effectively fighting and eliminating the spores that cause mould. A store-bought spray, like Domestos Bleach Spray, is therefore a great option for particularly severe areas of mould, or for those rushed for time.
When using such sprays, always remember there are a few safety precautions you should bear in mind:
When buying dishwasher tablets, which of these is most important to you?
Always follow the instructions on the label, and use the product as directed.
Wear rubber gloves and old clothes when using a bleach product, as it may stain your clothes or irritate your skin.
If you do get any spray on your skin, then immediately rinse with water and seek medical advice if necessary.
Keep children out of the affected room until the cleaning job is done.
Make sure the area that you are cleaning is well ventilated.
Test all products on a small inconspicuous area first to ensure there will be no staining or other adverse effects.
Now that you’re safely protected, you should follow these easy steps to remove mildew and mould:
Place a cloth or towel on the floor below the area that you plan to clean to ensure that the spray doesn’t run down onto your floor.
Spray the areas where mould and mildew are present and wait a couple of minutes for the product to take effect.
Once you see the product starting to disappear, take a cloth, soak it in a bowl of hot water, wring it out and then wipe away the spray. Make sure you don’t have too much water on the cloth, as this can make the paint or wallpaper on your walls bubble.
Alternatively, you might like to use a damp paper towel to wipe away the spray. This is a practical solution as the paper towel can then be thrown away, rather than needing to be rinsed like a cloth.
After repeating these steps a couple of times, the mould or mildew should be gone, and then you just need to leave the room to dry, ensuring it’s well ventilated, so moisture can continue to escape.
Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
Using Other Mould & Mildew Removers
An inexpensive and natural alternative to commercial mould and mildew removers is vinegar (preferably white or cleaning vinegar to avoid potential stains), which can be diluted with water. This solution will remove mould and mildew with ease. For areas particularly badly affected with mould, vinegar can even be used undiluted.
Buy an empty spray bottle to fill with the vinegar solution and spray it on as you would a commercial cleaner. Proceed in exactly the same way as described above.
Remember, never mix vinegar and bleach together, as doing so produces a potentially fatal gas.
How to Remove Mildew and Mould from Towels
Mould and mildew thrive on fabrics, and the towels in your bathroom are therefore an obvious target. Again, combating this is relatively simple, and can be done with the aid of your washing machine and some vinegar. Simply:
Take the affected towels and put them in the washing machine.
Add one or two cups of white vinegar and run the machine at its hottest setting. For this first cycle, don’t add detergent, fabric softener, or any other cleaning products.
Then, wash the towels again at the hottest setting, adding laundry detergent or baking soda. Again, do not add fabric softener or other cleaning products.
Once these two washes have been completed, either hang the towels out in the sun, or dry them in a tumble dryer at the highest setting you have.
Preventative Measures to Fight Bathroom Mould
To minimise the risk of the mould or mildew reoccurring in your kitchen and bathroom, ensure that you:
Keep these rooms well ventilated, opening doors and windows often.
Clean surfaces regularly to prevent mould from growing.
Make sure that you hang wet towels after use, to ensure that the moisture escapes as quickly as possible.
You can also check out our article on how to remove mould and mildew from walls for more useful tips.
For more information on the ingredients in products mentioned in this tip, visit What’s in Unilever Products here.