- Avoid using self-cleaning features as they can emit toxins.
- "Burn-in” your new oven to avoid the new oven smell.
- Have products like Cif handy to keep on top of your oven cleaning after using a new oven for the first time.
When you start using a new oven for the first time, probably very soon after purchasing it, you will want to be rid of the new oven smell that you may notice when you turn it on. This means that it’s important to ensure that you clean and prepare it properly before cooking any food.
What is a new oven smell and do new ovens smoke?
There are three reasons why you may notice a smell and even smoke being emitted during a new oven first use.
- The first time you expose the insulation that is surrounding the oven cavity can cause a distinctive new oven odour to be emitted.
- You may notice your new oven smells like burning plastic if you miss removing all of the zip ties which secure the oven during transit. This could also result in new oven smoking.
- Finally, the new oven smell may be caused by the burning off of the protective coating of oil used when making the oven.
Has your cleaning regime changed during the Covid-19 lockdown?
Cleaning tips for before using a new oven for the first time
1. Be sure to remove all packaging and zip ties, double checking you haven’t missed any.
2. Use warm, soapy water to wipe down the interior of your oven and oven racks.
3. “Burn-in” using the following step:
Turn on the ventilation fan and open all nearby windows to keep the room well ventilated.
Set the oven heat to between gas mark six and gas mark ten (200-260 degrees celsius).
Leave the oven on for between thirty minutes to one hour.
4. If you still notice the new oven smell, repeat the above steps one or two more times.
5. Once the “burn-in” process is finished, and your new oven is cool enough, use warm, soapy water to wipe down the oven interior and racks one final time.
6. Finally, add the juice of two lemons to an oven-safe bowl a third full of water and cook on gas mark eight (230 degrees) for half an hour; then use the leftover lemon water to wipe down the inside of your oven.
Now you have some great steps to take to ensure that you clean and prepare properly before using a new oven for the first time and be rid of the new oven smell that you may notice when you turn it on for the first time.