A splash of grease from the frying pan, or a greasy stain on work overalls needn’t be a laundry nightmare. Grease stain removal can often be much simpler than dealing with other types of stains, as oily substances can effectively be broken down with washing up liquid. This article will explain the process of removing grease stains and the products needed to do it.
How to Get Grease out of Clothes
Compared with the process for removing other substances, eliminating greasy stains is a relatively simple task. As always, remember to check the washing instructions for each item of clothing to ensure that they are not too delicate for this process. Remember to test your cleaning product on a hidden area of the fabric – like a cuff or hem – to make sure that it will not discolour or stain your clothes.
Products to Remove Greasy Stains:
Laundry detergent –
- Apply a liquid biological detergent, like Persil small & mighty bio, to the stain and rub gently.
- Check the care label on your item and wash on the hottest setting suitable for the fabric.
- Make sure the stain has been completely removed before drying, if not repeat the stain removal process or try the method below.
Dishwashing detergent –
Although it is always recommended to use a product designed for cleaning clothes, for really stubborn stains the grease removing properties of a dishwashing detergent can come in handy, especially when you spill cooking oil in the kitchen and need to tackle the stain quickly.
- Lay out the garment and cover the stain with a diluted solution of a dishwashing liquid like Persil Washing Up Liquid.
- Using your fingers, gently work the detergent into the fabric. You will see the stain begin to dissolve almost immediately, as most dish detergents are able to absorb grease directly.
- Rinse the washing up liquid off, and wash normally with laundry detergent.
Here's a handy video guide on how to remove grease stains from clothes:
Particularly resistant stains can be removed by repeating applications of dishwashing detergent.
There you have it, it’s quick and simple to remove grease stains from clothes – and you don’t even need to buy specialist stain removal products!
The faster you can treat a grease stain, the better the result.