Step 1: Pre-wash
Before putting a load in to machine wash at 30 degrees, it’s important to sort your laundry to avoid any washing mishaps:
- Separate light and dark clothes.
- Sort according to fabric type; for example, wash delicates and towels separately.
- Read the care label of all clothing items for specific temperature instructions.
Tip: Heavily-stained items can be washed at 30 degrees, providing you pay them a little special attention first. Pre-treat any stains by applying liquid detergent directly to the stain and leaving for a few minutes before placing in the wash as normal. Persil has some great tips about washing at 30 degrees with Persil detergents.
Step 2: Wash at 30 Degrees
Turning down the temperature dial and letting the detergent do its thing can work wonders. Follow these steps to wash at 30 degrees:
- Choose the right cycle according to the fabric type, i.e. silk, cotton, polyester.
- Put on a full load to maximise energy efficiency
- Add detergent. Make sure to follow the instructions on the garment care label, taking into account water hardness for your area.
- To machine wash at 30 degrees, make sure that the spin of the cycle is set to the highest level possible (again, make sure to check the care label if in doubt). This will reduce the need for drying, making your eco-wash even greener.
Tip: After washing, dry immediately to avoid the build-up of odours and to minimise creasing.
Step 3: Eco-drying
Where possible, dry your clothes on a line outside. As well as being a greener, cheaper alternative to machine drying, drying clothes with wind and sunlight is the best way of avoiding static so you don’t get any unexpected shocks.
If you can’t dry outside, then make sure to hang up your washing as soon as possible after the washing machine has finished, in order to achieve the best results.
Step 4: Maintenance
To make sure that bacteria or excess detergent doesn’t build up inside the washing machine, run a maintenance clean once a month. Leaving the drum empty, set the machine to the highest temperature setting (60 degrees or higher). Do not add any detergent to the maintenance wash. Afterwards, give the detergent tray a good scrubbing with a damp cloth for a flawless finish. Always check your washing machine manual first.