How to Clean a Faux Fur Coat
It’s important to consult the care label on your faux fur coat before you attempt to wash it. You can find our list of handy washing symbols here. Some manufacturers recommend you take faux fur coats to the dry cleaners, but you can also wash some garments made of faux fur in the machine, if you treat them gently. You should follow these steps:
- Be sure to remove any items from the pockets of your faux fur coat, so that it doesn’t get damaged in the wash.
- Choose a gentle washing detergent designed for hand-washing and add a good quality fabric conditioner like Comfort Intense to the wash to help fluff up the fabric fibres and lock the colour.
- Choose the cycle with the least amount of agitation and spin.
- Make sure the temperature of the water is cool, so the fibres of the fabric don’t get damaged.
- After the washing cycle has finished, roll the coat in a clean dry towel to squeeze out any excess water.
- Shake out the coat to fluff up the fibres and hang it on a coat hanger to air dry.
- Use a wide toothed comb or brush to separate and smooth the fibres once the coat is dry.
If you’re wondering how to clean a faux fur blanket, you can use much the same technique as described in the how to clean faux fur coat instructions, above. Smaller items, like faux fur soft toys or boots should be spot or hand-cleaned as below.