There’s nothing more luxurious than drinking a cup of hot chocolate when it’s cold outside. It’s a tasty alternative to all the tea and coffee we drink while we’re on the go and gives adults and kids alike a warm, cosy feeling inside – especially in winter, when we’re more likely to need to warm up! But imagine this scene: you’re drinking a mug of steaming hot cocoa with whipped cream or marshmallows on top and dreaming of ski chalets and roaring fires, when suddenly your mug slips and you end up with a nasty brown mark on your fluffy white scarf, or on a clean pair of trousers! But does hot chocolate stain your clothes? Well, if you don’t get the mark out fast, the hot chocolate can seep into the fabric, staining your clothing and stomping all over your hot chocolate reverie too! So what should you do?
How to Remove Hot Chocolate Stains Quickly
Since the warmer chocolate is, the more it melts down into the fibres of fabric, it’s important you treat the stain straight away and avoid heat of any kind when removing a hot chocolate stain. If you let the stain dry, it will of course be much harder to get out!
If you’re at a cafe you could start to treat the stain there and then by:
- Going to the bathroom and running cold water through the fabric from the reverse side of the stain.
- If there’s still a dark mark, gently work some hand soap into the stain with your fingers.
- Rinse the soap away with clean water.
- Put the garment in the washing machine as soon as you are able to get home.
However, this solution will not work for all situations – so if you can’t treat the stain immediately, then treat it as soon as you get home in the following way:
Removing Hot Chocolate Stains at Home
The easiest way to remove a hot chocolate stain at home is to follow these steps:
- Check the care label on the garment.
- Pre-treat the stain with Persil small & mighty bio – just follow the directions on the label.
- Then, load it into the washing machine and select a cool wash program. Add a good quality washing detergent like Persil small & mighty bio, which is especially good for removing cocoa-milk sugar stains, even in a quick wash.
- At the end of the cycle, check that the stain has disappeared and then dry your garment as normal.
Stubborn Hot Chocolate Stain Removal
At the end of your wash, if you still find there’s a hot chocolate stain on your clothes, the best approach is to follow these steps:
- Make sure the garment stays wet.
- Add Persil small & mighty bio laundry detergent to a bucket of cold water (find the dosing guide on the label), and add the stained clothing.
- Let the fabric soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove from the bucket and rewash on the same cool wash settings.