Toothpaste is great, but it’s your mouth that needs to be minty fresh – not your clothes! Kids are especially prone to spattering toothpaste, but we’ve all done it. Specks on shirts, smears on dresses … thankfully there are a number of easy ways to remove toothpaste stains from clothes, even on delicate fabrics.
How to Remove Toothpaste Stains
The method used to remove a toothpaste stain may vary according to the ingredients of the toothpaste. Water may be all that is required to remove stains from natural toothpaste, but whitening toothpastes containing bleaching agents may leave a bleached area, and coloured gel toothpastes may leave dye stains. If the garment is dry clean only, use a specialist product or have it professionally dry cleaned, as water may damage the fabric. If it isn’t, try the tips below:
How to Get Rid of Toothpaste Stains
- For all stains, an important first step is to scrape or wipe off any excess toothpaste with a clean damp cloth, or a blunt knife if it’s dried.
- Use a clean, wet cloth to blot the toothpaste stain, letting enough water seep out to dissolve the toothpaste.
- Apply a small amount of a detergent such as Persil Small & Mighty to the stain as a pre-treatment. Let it rest for a few minutes, and then wash as normal. For delicate fabrics, use an appropriate laundry detergent, like Persil Silk & Wool. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions, and test on a small inconspicuous area first.
- Once as much of the toothpaste stain is out as possible, rinse thoroughly and wash as normal.
- Make sure the stain is out before putting the garment in a dryer, as high temperatures can ‘set’ stains.
Options for a Difficult Toothpaste Stain:
- Soak the stained article in warm water, then wash and rinse as normal. Again, air dry, or at least check that none of the stain remains before placing the garment in a dryer.
- Mix a solution of 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water and apply to the toothpaste stain. Leave for approximately 1 minute, then rinse, and launder as normal.
- Use a commercial stain removal product, either a stick or a spray. Apply directly to the toothpaste stain and leave as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Persistent stains may need to be left overnight. Wash as normal, again checking the stain is gone before placing in a dryer.
With these steps, you needn’t worry about unsightly toothpaste stains on your clothes. They’ll soon be long gone!