- Use a good quality detergent.
- Use warm water, never hot.
- Spot clean stains with a soft-bristled brush.
- Rinse your cap thoroughly.
- Always allow your cap to air dry.
- Place a towel beneath your cap as it dries to prevent water damage to the surface.
Like any other item of clothing, baseball caps and snapbacks need regular washing – especially in the sweaty summer months. Here you can find a step-by-step guide for how to wash a snapback or baseball cap, as well as the dos and don’ts of doing so!
Can you wash baseball caps? The dos and don’ts of how to clean a baseball cap
Before we provide a step-by-step guide for how to wash a baseball cap, we have a few dos and don’ts you need to know:
- DO handwash your cap. This will help you retain the colour and shape of your hat. For a quick clean, use a dry wash like one from Cleankit for instant freshness.
- DO let your cap air-dry on top of a container such as a jam or coffee jar to allow it to keep its shape.
- DON’T use the dishwasher. Despite the myth that the top rack is safe, dishwasher detergents often include bleach, plus the dishwasher uses a high heat. Both of these factors can damage the cap.
- DON’T use bleach. This can cause the colours in your cap to fade.
- DON’T use the washing machine or tumble dryer. This could lead to a change in your cap’s shape.
Has your lifestyle during the Covid-19 lockdown affected the type of stains you get on your clothes?
How to wash a cap: a 7 step guide for how to clean a snapbackor baseball cap
Here are seven easy steps for you to follow, which will show you how to clean a cap:
- Fill a container such as a clean sink with warm water, ensuring it is not hot.
- Add a laundry detergent.
- Spot-clean any stained areas. Using a clean toothbrush or soft-bristled brush and drop of detergent rub directly on the stain. Take care around areas of stitching to avoid causing damage.
- Place the hat into your water and detergent filled container for up to two hours. Half way through the soaking stage, check on any stains and repeat step 3 if the fabric shows any stubborn stain remains.
- Use warm water to rinse your baseball cap. Take care to remove all traces of soap.
- When it comes to drying your hat, firstly allow your hat to drip dry removing initial excess water; placing a towel beneath to prevent water damage to counter tops or tables.
- Next, use a towel to pat the hat dry and remove excess moisture. Always pat to ensure you retain the shape of the hat.
- Place a jar such as a coffee or jam jar on a dry towel and place your hat on top. Leave it to dry overnight.