- Turn off, unplug and remove the power cable.
- Always check the user’s manual for specific advice.
- Wash in the washing machine for 3-5 minutes only.
- Use a cool rinse for around 1 minute.
- Use a standard spin cycle.
- Stretch to shape and air dry.
- Never dry clean or iron.
Did you know the washing guidelines for electric blankets are much more straightforward than you might expect? Here we’ll explain how to wash an electric blanket either by hand or in a washing machine.
Can I wash an electric blanket in the washing machine?
Yes! There are a few steps that you need to be aware of when it comes to washing your electric blanket in the washing machine, however.
- Always ensure that you have disconnected the power cord before your start.
- Turn off your blanket.
- Unplug the blanket from the wall.
- Remove the power cord from the blanket. This must never be submerged in water.
- For older electric blankets, the power cord may not be removable. In this case skip ahead to the next section on how to wash a heated blanket by hand.
- Check your blanket over. If you notice wear to the blanket and heating elements on show you should dispose of the blanket.
- Don’t forget to check the care label and user’s manual. Make sure you adhere to any specific washing instructions to not affect the warranty of your blanket.
- Pre-soak your blanket for 15 minutes in a cold-water soak (or for the time and temperature recommended by the manufacturer.)
- Pop your blanket into the washing machine for a 3-5 minutes only. Use a delicate cycle and a small amount of mild detergent like Persil.
- Allow your blanket to run through a one-minute cool rinse cycle.
- Follow this with a single standard spin cycle.
How do you wash an electric blanket by hand?
With care! This is especially important for modern electric blankets as most are designed to be machine washed. Here are our top tips for how to clean an electric blanket by hand.
- The key when washing a electric blanket by hand is to ensure you avoid agitating the heating element too much.
- Turn off your blanket, unplug it from the wall and if you can, remove the power cord.
- Place your blanket into a tub of cold water mixed with a small amount of mild detergent like Persil. Never submerge the power cord if it’s still attached.
- Swish the blanket around for 1-2 minutes.
- Leave your blanket to soap for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze out the soapy water.
- Rinse under cold water.
- Leave to air dry, gently stretching it out to its normal size while still damp to ensure it keeps its shape.
Can you wash an electric blanket and tumble dry it after?
While it is best to leave your electric blanket to air dry, you may be able to tumble dry some brands. Here are our top tips if you wish to use a dryer for your electric blanket.
- Check that there is enough space for your blanket to tumble freely.
- Don’t forget to check the manufacturer's advice.
- Unless advised otherwise in your user’s manual, set your dryer to a low heat.
- Remove the blanket while it is still damp and finish the drying process in the air.
- As with air drying, remember to stretch out your blanket to maintain its shape as it dries.
Important safety information
As with all electronics, understanding how to clean a heated blanket safely before you start is crucial.
- Never dry clean your electric blanket. The chemicals could damage the insulation which surround the heating elements.
- An iron could also cause damage to the insulation, so never iron your blanket.
- Take care to check the blanket over to ensure there is no damage after the washing process before using it.
- Always ensure the blanket is fully dry before plugging it back in.
With this simple guide, you now know how to clean an electric blanket with ease. For more bed changing tips check out our article on how often you should wash your bedding.