Who hasn’t asked this question? You have probably mastered how to use a washing machine but then comes the next step, learning how to use fabric conditioner, washing powder, or liquid detergent in a washing machine. Fear not, we have all the answers in this handy guide where we'll walk you through knowing where to put washing products in your washing machine.
Where to put washing products in the washing machine
In this step-by-step guide, we will walk you through the process of deciding where to put washing products in your washing machine. It is always a good idea to refer to the manufacturer’s manual but here are some general guidelines to get you started:
First, determine the type of washing machine you have
Is it top loading or front loading? To put it simply, a front loading machine opens at the front, whereas a top loading machine opens at the top.
Front loading machine
When using a front loading machine, slide open the drawer and inside you should see three (sometimes just two) compartments with the following symbols:
- I = pre wash
- II = main wash (powder detergent only)
- Flower symbol = fabric softener
Top loading machine
When working with a top loading machine, you usually add your washing products direct to the drum.
- Add the recommended dose of powder/liquid detergent followed by fabric softener to the drum first then add the washing on top.
- Do not add the detergent or softener to the top of the load as this can stain your garments.
If you're using a product such a Persil Bio Capsules, you should add these directly to the drum before your washing regardless of what type of washing machine you have.
Next, choose your wash cycle
Whether or not you intend to use a pre-wash and what sort of clothes you're washing will also have an impact.
- Put your chosen pre-wash detergent into the comparment marked I on front loaders or direct to the drum for top loaders.
- Add your regular powder or liquid detergent to the main wash compartment marked II on front loaders or direct to the drum for top loaders.
- Add your fabric softener, such as Comfort Pure, to the compartment marked with a flower symbol on front loaders or direct to the drum for top loaders.
- Add your clothes to the drum.
- Choose your wash cycle and wash temperature.
The steps are exactly the same as with a pre-wash except you leave that compartment empty.
As confusing as washing machines are, you hopefully now have a clear answer to where to put fabric softender and other laundry products now.
What is most important to you when buying a laundry product?