What To Do with Broken Glass
Glass broken on the floor should be cleaned up quickly, carefully and thoroughly, as the shards have the potential to cause injury. Follow these steps to make sure it goes smoothly.
- Address broken glass as soon as the accident has occurred. Leaving it for any length of time could risk somebody hurting themselves on the broken shards.
- First of all, protect yourself by putting on a pair of good rubber gloves, and make sure you’re wearing a proper pair of shoes.
- Make sure children and pets are uninjured and move them safely away from the area.
- Carefully pick up the big shards of glass in your gloved hands. The best way to dispose of broken glass is to wrap it in newspaper – place the shards on top of a few sheets of newspaper. Check the floor as far as 10 feet away – it’s amazing how far glass can travel if there’s been a big impact!
- Next, vacuum the area thoroughly. Do not use a broom or the upholstery brush attachment on the vacuum, as little shards can get stuck in the bristles and cause more of a mess.
- Remove the tiny pieces of glass that the vacuum cleaner may have missed by wiping a fresh piece of bread or some damp paper towel over the area – it will stick to the glass dust and tiny shards. Place the bread or paper towel with the rest of the glass.
- Carefully wrap the glass (and bread) up in the sheets of newspaper, place the ball of newspaper in a plastic bag and tie it up. This should now be safe to place in the bin.
- Now it’s time to clean up any spillages. Mop up the liquid with some paper towels. If you’re dealing with a hard surface, spray some antibacterial cleaner, like Cif Actifizz Lemon, and wipe clean with a damp cloth. For carpet or upholstery, make up a solution of water and a dose of stain-removing detergent, like Persil Bio Liquid, ensuring that you follow the instructions on the packet. Dab the stain with the solution, wipe with clean water and pat dry.
Now you know how to dispose of broken glass quickly and safely, you can be confident next time you need to deal with glass broken on the floor.