- Evaluate the purpose of your bedroom, whether it is divided into different spaces, or whether you just use it to sleep.
- Use feng shui elements to give you bedroom paint ideas.
- Calming colors with blue, green or earthy undertones are the safest options for a peaceful and restful sleep.
When it comes to your sleeping quarters, it is almost a given that relaxing hues are the best bedroom colors. However, more often than not, we do more things in our bedrooms than simply sleep. Sometimes we study, work and, if you have a studio flat, then you do pretty much everything in one room. It can be tricky to figure out how to strike a balance between different activities in the same space.
That’s when feng shui can come in handy and we’ll explain how you can apply feng shui to bedroom colors, whether you’re painting the walls or choosing accents. Take a look at our bedroom color ideas, and how you can choose the right color to create that perfectly balanced space for your needs.
Feng shui bedroom colors: what you need to know
Feng shui is all about the balance of energy; the yin and the yang. Using feng shui can help you achieve harmony and find the best color for your bedroom walls.
Traditional feng shui colors have different associations and these are connected to the five elements:
- Fire: high level of energy and passion
- Earth: grounding, stability and nourishment
- Metal: efficiency, precise clarity and sharpness
- Water: tranquillity and overflowing abundance
- Wood: health, vitality and growth
According to feng shui, Bagua or the energy map, each of these elements rule over different spaces to suit their purpose.
The colors associated with each of these elements are as follows:
- Fire: red, orange, purple, pink, yellow
- Earth: beige, earthy sandy, light yellow, neutral colors
- Metal: grey and white
- Water: blue and black
- Wood: brown and green
Feng shui bedroom colors: how to choose
Ideally, your bedroom should aim to draw on the yin energy, which is restive and connected to the night, as opposed to the yang, which represents liveliness and activity.
This means that fire colors are more suited to lively surroundings, such as the dining room, whereas water colors and earth colors would fit better in calming spaces, like your bedroom.
There are, however, some nuances in choosing best color for bedroom walls:
- Though you may go straight for the water element, painting your whole bedroom black isn’t exactly a good idea. In feng shui, black is considered a heavy color, so it should never be used in an overpowering way. Rather, you can add black touches through decorations.
- Until now, you may have thought of white as a neutral color. But in feng shui, white is considered a very sharp color, activating your cognitive capabilities and giving you focus. Feng shui practitioners recommend that white with grey or beige undertones, like ivory or eggshell, are used.
- Is your bedroom an all-purpose room? Don’t worry, you can still use color to create a division of spaces. Let’s say the wall behind your desk can be painted white, and your desk can have a metal grey lamp to help you focus on work. Where your kitchen is placed, you can have orange items or splashes of yellow. For your bed, invest in blue or green bedding, neutral-colored paintings and a wooden bedframe to give you grounding.
Think pastels for bedroom color ideas connected to the feng shui principles:
- Lilac or purple: keep the room light and serene.
- Baby blue or sky blue: bring in the water element with elegance.
- Pale beige: bring in warmth without the fire element.
- Sage green: bring in nature and the sense of belonging. Try not to opt for greens that have yellow undertones, such as lime green.
Hopefully, with this guide, you can now get stuck into decorating your bedroom and have sweet, sweet dreams. And remember to have fun when decorating your room! If you have no clue as to how to start the painting process once you’ve picked your best bedroom color, then find everything you need to know in our guide to how to prepare walls for painting.