You don’t need to spend loads of money to keep flies away, just remember these 3 simple steps:
- Populate your house interior and garden with plants that repel flies.
- Create your own homemade fly repellent with vinegar.
- Prevent flies in your home by cleaning and disinfecting thoroughly.
Flies can be more than a nuisance; they can also carry diseases. The last place you want to see them is inside your home – especially in the kitchen, where everything should be kept clean and hygienic. Never fear! Cleanipedia has come up with the following top tips for how to repel flies, whether inside or out so that they’re gone from your home for good.
How to keep flies away inside
To banish flies from your home, try these 3 methods:
1. Add plants that repel flies
Flies dislike certain plants so if you're struggling with flies why not try buying a pot of mint. Not only does it smell delicious to you, and get deter pesky flies, but you can also use a sprig or two when cooking! Have a look at some of our other suggestions for plants to help you eliminate flies inside the home:
- Venus flytrap
You can use a selection of these plant to repel flies inside the home but that's not the only benefit they might have - check if any are purifying plants that can help keep your home air clean.
2. How to repel flies inside the home with cleaning
The best way to prevent flies from being drawn into the house is to keep your home and kitchen clean.
- Wash dishes immediately after you use them.
- Don’t leave food out on the countertop for long periods of time.
- Clean the kitchen thoroughly after preparing food.
- Keep on top of cleaning your indoor bins, especially your food bin, and don't let them become too full.
If you are facing an infestation of flies, the first thing you need to do is clean your house thoroughly. Vacuum and wash all surfaces with a disinfectant spray or wipes to get rid of any fly eggs, and clean behind furniture and everywhere that might not be easily accessible at first – that’s where flies like to hide.
3. Make a homemade fly repellent
Flies can be easily repelled with white vinegar, so much so that even the smell of boiling vinegar can be an easy-to-make DIY fly repellent on its own.
- Pour some cider vinegar into a pot or jar to start making your fly repellent.
- Add one drop of dishwashing liquid.
- Cover the pot with cling film and pierce it in several places.
- Leave in areas where you have seen flies.
Another homemade fly repellent you can easily make uses a jar, some sugary water, and a paper cone. The sugar attracts the flies, while the jar and cone make it impossible for the flies to escape once they are trapped.
With these methods, you can finally wave goodbye to these bothersome and uninvited guests.
How to keep flies away outside
Your house is clean on the inside, but you can still see a swirling cloud of flies in your garden or around your patio? Yep. It’s a common issue and here’s why: flies love laying their eggs in moist surfaces. Though you can’t see them during the rainy season, it’s only because the larvae are just babies and are not yet ready to fly.
To get tackle the problem, follow this guide:
- The larvae feed on organic matter (food leftovers are their favourite dish!) so it’s very important to keep your outdoor bins in a dry area and your garden waste dry.
- Disinfect your bins with a good disinfectant such as Domex.
- Cleanse the outdoor area with camphor fumes or light up citronella candles which deter flies. Never leave a lit candle unattended for safety.
- Get yourself a selection of plants that keep flies away - place them inside and outside your home, focusing on doors and windows.
Now that you have the flies under control, you’ll want to make sure your home is also mosquito-proof! For tips on mosquito control, keep on reading Cleanipedia.