While some of us are lucky enough to have tumble dryers, it's good to remember that if you’re trying to save energy at home, these machines tend to use a lot of electricity. So whether you want to save energy, or you don’t own a dryer and want to learn how to dry clothes instantly, you’ve come to the right place. Here, we'll walk you through our top tips for how to air dry clothes fast without needing a dryer.
How to dry clothes quickly with a dry towel
First and foremost, when learning how to get clothes to dry faster without a dryer, it’s important that your clothes are properly cleaned, so that when they do dry, they smell great. Using a good quality detergent, such as Surf, will help your clothes stay in shape and smell fresh. This is particularly important to prevent any damp smell if you're drying your clothes indoors on a humid day.
- Wrap your clothes in a dry, clean towel and roll them into a sausage to wring out excess moisture. Repeat with a second towel if needed.
- Have an iron at hand, as the toweling process of drying clothes off will leave them very creased!
- To speed up the drying process you can also iron your wet clothes under a dry towel. This will also help get the creases out (this is a great method for how to dry pants quickly, as the fabric is often thicker).
However, it's important to remember to:
- Always use clean and dry towels.
- Ask for help, if you need, since two people will be able to put more force into wringing out the clothes.
How to dry clothes instantly with the hairdryer
If you’re in a hurry, have no time to spare and really need that white shirt that just came out of the laundry, then your hairdryer will be your best bet as the quickest way to dry clothes without a dryer:
- Hang your clothes on a coat hanger before drying them.
- Move your hairdryer across the surface of your clothes and dry them inside and out, front and back.
When using a hairdryer to dry your clothes:
- Don’t use a high heat, as this could damage the fibers and cause the clothing to shrink.
- Don't keep the hairdryer on any one point for too long, as this could damage the fabric.
For small items, such as socks and underwear, you could try using a salad spinner – the motion imitates that of a tumble dryer.
Tips to dry clothes fast
You now know how to dry clothes without a dryer. But there’s more! Check out these alternative ways to help dry clothes quickly without dryer machines:
- Don’t overfill your washing machine, as your clothes won't wash properly and will need to be done again – taking longer to dry in the process!
- Put your laundry through an extra rinse and spin cycle in the washing machine.
- Wring your clothes out before drying; this could leave your clothes with extra creases, so be prepared to iron them once they are dry.
There you have it: be savvy and dry with these tips on how to get clothes to dry faster without a dryer.