Whether you’ve accidentally smudged it on your dress in a rush, or your partner’s left a mark on your shirt, we all know the hassle a lipstick stain can bring. So, how do you get lipstick off clothes? Luckily, it can be dealt with using a variety of products and methods, all from the comfort of your own home.
Before following the methods below, it is always advised to check the care label and to test products and liquids on an inconspicuous area of the fabric in case the chemicals do not work well with the item at hand. It is also strongly recommended that the stain be treated as soon as possible to avoid the lipstick sinking further into the clothing.
How To Get Lipstick Out of Clothes Using a Stain Remover or Liquid Detergent
- Begin by carefully scraping off any excess lipstick with a blunt knife or dull edge. When using the knife, ensure that you direct it away from your body, taking care to avoid injuring yourself.
- Apply a pre-wash stain remover or small amount of liquid detergent directly to the stain. Before applying the remover, ensure that the product can be used on the material at hand. Spray the remover on both sides of the lipstick stain. Always follow the guidelines on the product and check it is suitable by referencing the garment label.
- Rinse the stain in warm water, making sure not to rub, as this can cause further damage. Blot or dab the stain instead when removing lipstick from clothes.
- Wash the fabric as usual once all the stains have been removed.
How to Remove Lipstick Stain Using Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol may work at removing lipstick stains from your clothing (if appropriate for the fabric).
- Take a cotton ball or clean white cloth and dampen it with rubbing alcohol.
- Blot the stain with the alcohol to remove the lipstick stains from clothing. Do not rub the stain.
- Once you have blotted the stain, rinse out the alcohol with cool water.
- Wash the fabric as usual.