Renowned for its staining power, turmeric contains the yellow pigment curcumin, which – as many a curry enthusiast would acknowledge – seems to gravitate towards clothes, testing the cleaning skills of any domestic god or goddess.
What topics would you like to read about?
How to Remove a Turmeric Stain
With their close proximity to the plate on a daily basis, sleeves often find themselves in the firing line for turmeric stains. For the best results, remember that time is of the essence: the longer turmeric has to work into the fibres, the harder it will be to shift.
You can use a specialist stain removal product – just follow the directions on the label and test on a small area first. You can also try applying Breeze liquid detergent directly to the stain as a pre-treatment. Then, wash the garment as advised by the care label in the washing machine. If that doesn’t fully get the stain out, you could also try one of the homemade remedies below.
Homemade Remedies for Turmeric Stain Removal
You can also try using homemade solutions, too, but remember, before applying any new cleaning product or method, read the care label of the garment and test it on a small, hidden area beforehand. Read the label on any commercial products you use for the best results.
Hydrogen peroxide (for white clothes):
- Fill a spray bottle with one part 20% volume hydrogen peroxide and nine parts water.
- Spray liberally onto the stained area(s), and leave to soak in for around four hours.
- Machine-wash the garment with detergent, as directed on the care label.
- Rinse the stain thoroughly with warm water.
- Mix an equal solution of glycerine and water and apply to the stained area.
- Finally, rinse again and machine wash as usual with a biological detergent.
While providing a piquant counterbalance to turmeric in a chicken dish, lemon can also be used to for turmeric stain removal:
- Slice a lemon in half.
- Squeeze onto the stain.
- Leave for half an hour.
- Wash normally, following the directions on the label.
Now you know how to remove turmeric stains from clothes – there’s no need to worry about using your favorite ingredient!