Black and white clothes are notoriously difficult to look after. White clothes seem to attract dirt like a magnet, and go yellow if not looked after properly, whilst black clothes are known for fading. So it pays to know a few things, from how to restore faded black clothes to how to whiten white clothes that have yellowed. Here’s what you need to know.
What topics would you like to read about?
How to Wash Clothes Carefully
There are a number of ways you can prevent having to learn how to restore faded clothes altogether. Here are a few tricks:
- Choose a detergent like Surf which is kind to clothing and is less harsh on the colors, yet still tough on marks.
- Wash clothes inside out so you’re less likely to have to learn how to remove faded colors from clothes.
- Make sure to separate colors, whites, and denim to prevent color from running.
- Skip tumble drying clothes as much as possible.
How to Whiten Whites
If you’re to learn how to whiten white clothes that have yellowed, or how to whiten whites, check out these helpful tricks:
- Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda with ¼ cup of water, scrub onto the mark, leave it for around an hour and wash as normal if you’re looking for a method for how to remove yellow stains on white clothes.
- When it comes to how to bleach white clothes, there are two options. You can either pop your clothes in a bucket of cold water and add a few tablespoons of bleach if you want to whiten clothing. If you need to know how to remove yellow stains on white clothes, you can use straight bleach, dabbing a little onto the mark before rinsing thoroughly.
- When bleaching clothes, always test on a small, hidden area of the garment first, and read the label carefully.
How to Restore Faded Black Clothes
For black clothes, fading can be a big problem. Learn how to restore faded clothes using dye with these tips:
- Buy a packet of black dye and mix follow the instructions on the label, using a bucket big enough to fit your clothing.
- Wet your clothing first so that it’s damp, before submerging it in the bucket of dye.
- Make sure all the clothing is submerged, leaving it for as long as the instructions say.
- Rinse with hot water until it turns clear, and then switch to cold water.
Dyeing is a simple way to learn how to remove faded colors from clothes, and it works a treat, too!
Next time your whites are looking a little yellow, check back on these tips for how to bleach white clothes, and if your blacks are starting to fade, remember that dyeing them is a great way to solve the problem. It’s much better to fix your clothes than chuck them out! Just always be careful when bleaching clothes and using chemical dyes.