Unfortunately we’ve all been subject to nasty lipstick stains on our clothes. Whether you’ve accidentally smudged it on your dress in a rush, or your partner’s left a mark on your shirt, we all know the hassle and pain that lipstick stains on our clothing can bring. Luckily, lipstick stain removal can be dealt with using a variety of products and methods, all from the comfort of your own home.
Before following the methods below, it is always advised to check the care label and to test products and liquids on an inconspicuous area of the fabric in case the chemicals do not work well with the item at hand. It is also strongly recommended that the stain is treated as soon as possible to avoid the lipstick sinking further into the clothing. Finally, once the stains have been removed, it is always advised that the garments are left to air dry opposed to using a tumble dryer when removing lipstick from clothing.
Has your lifestyle during the Covid-19 lockdown affected the type of stains you get on your clothes?
How To Remove Lipstick From Fabric Using a Stain Remover or Liquid Detergent
- Begin by carefully scraping off any excess lipstick with a blunt knife or dull edge. When using the knife, ensure that you direct it away from your body, taking care to avoid injuring yourself.
- Apply a prewash stain remover or small amount of liquid detergent directly to the stain. However, before applying the remover, ensure that the product can be used on the material at hand. Spray the remover on both sides of the lipstick stain. Always follow the guidelines on the product and check it is suitable by referencing the garment label.
- Rinse the stain in warm water, making sure not to rub as this can cause further damage. Blot or dab the stain instead when removing lipstick from clothes.
- Wash the fabric as usual once all the stains have been removed.
How to Remove Lipstick Stains From Clothing Using Surgical Spirit
Surgical spirit may work at removing lipstick stains from your clothing. Again, always remember to test it in a small area first, and to read the care label of your garment to make sure that it is appropriate for the fabric.
- Take a cotton ball or clean white cloth and dampen it with surgical spirit.
- Blot the stain with the surgical spirit to remove the lipstick stains from clothing. Do not rub the stain.
- Once you have blotted the stain, rinse out the spirit with cool water.
- Wash the fabric as usual.
How to Remove Lipstick Stains Using Hairspray
Similarly, you could use hairspray to treat lipstick stains – just follow these instructions after you’ve tested it on a small area of your garment first.
- Spray the hairspray onto the lipstick stain.
- Allow the hairspray to sit on the lipstick stain for up to 15 minutes.
- Take a clean cloth and dip in warm water.
- Wipe the hairspray off the stain with the cloth.
- Wash the fabric as usual.
As much of a nuisance as lipstick-stained clothes may be, lipstick stain removal is in fact a rather straightforward process. If the above methods have not proven successful in getting lipstick out of clothes, then it is strongly recommended that you seek professional help at a dry cleaning service.