When the weather is nice, and we’re out and about enjoying the great outdoors, it’s no wonder if the last thing on our minds is how to get rid of rust stains. However, iron and steel are used to make many everyday items, from railings to gardening tools – and when these materials come into contact with air and water, rust is sure to follow.
Rust is composed of iron oxide, and because of the stubborn nature of this particular mark, it can be difficult to know how to remove rust stains from clothes. Flaky and easily smeared into a larger stain, rust looks a lot worse than it is – so there’s no reason to let rust stains on clothes ruin your day.
How to Get Rust out of Clothes
The obvious answer is to steer clear from rust altogether; but we all know that when the sun is out, no stain is going to keep us from flipping some steaks on the braai. Instead, learning how to remove rust stains from clothing means you will know exactly what to do when the inevitable happens.
- Move fast. The quicker you can remove rust stains from clothes the less chance it will have at sinking and setting into the material.
- Lemon or white vinegar are rust’s worst enemies. Lay your garment on an old towel and saturate the affected area with white vinegar or half a cut lemon.
- Blot the stain with a clean white towel or sponge to absorb the red discolouration.
- Place your clothing item in direct sunlight so that the stain continues to fade.
- Wash as normal with a good quality commercial cleaning detergent. Choose a detergent with effective stain removing powers if possible – we particularly like OMO Auto Washing Liquid, which can also be used as a pre-treatment. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and launder at the recommended setting, as detailed on the clothing care label.
- Leave to dry and repeat from step two if necessary.
So, now you know how to get rust stains out of clothes easily! Cleaning is often a question of having the right know-how rather than scrubbing for hours: once you understand what you’re dealing with, coming up with a solution is easy.