Have you ever wondered how to keep clothes smelling fresh in drawers and cupboards? Freshly laundered clothes smell amazing when they first come out the machine, but can lose that lovely ‘just washed’ fragrance all too quickly.
Laundry that loses its smell – or even comes out the machine smelling a bit suspicious – is a common problem, and one that can be easily fixed. Here’s how to keep clothes fresh, and how to keep your wardrobe smelling fresh around the clock!
How to keep clothes smelling fresh after washing
What makes clothes smell good? Knowing how to keep clothes fresh is a useful trick to have up your sleeve – after all, there’s nothing quite like putting on clean clothes straight from your wardrobe. Here’s a rundown on how to keep clothes smelling fresh in your closet straight from the washing machine.
- Inspect your washing machine: Like any home appliance, washing machines require regular care and cleaning to remove any dirt and ensure they’re running as efficiently as possible. If your washing machine has suddenly started to smell, try this:
- Add a cup of white vinegar to an empty drum and run a hot cycle.
- While the drum is air drying, wipe around the rubber seals of your washing machine with a damp cloth, looking for any hidden residue underneath.
- Soaking the detergent drawer in hot water and scrubbing with an old toothbrush will help remove any residue or mould.
- Always consult your machine’s manual for instructions on how to clean it.
- Look after your washing machine: If you’re wondering how to keep clothes smelling fresh after washing every time, caring for your washing machine is key.
- Rinse excess dirt from soiled clothing before loading it into the machine
- Only use as much detergent as necessary to prevent build-up and blockages
- Leave the washing machine door and detergent drawer open between loads to prevent mould
- Run an empty hot wash once per month to eradicate any build-up
- Use a great-smelling laundry detergent: Most detergents wield brilliant cleaning power, but not all of them make your laundry smell great too. So, how to keep your wardrobe smelling fresh? Use a fragrant detergent like Sunlight Auto Washing Powder! It’s particularly useful hack if you want to know how to keep clothes smelling fresh in drawers!
- Give clothes time to dry: Do you ever find you’re so busy trying to get everything done that you sometimes put your laundry away while it’s still damp? This could be the source of smelly laundry. If you’re wondering how to keep clothes smelling fresh in your closet, always give your garments enough time to dry out completely before folding and storing.
It’s easy to keep your clothes smelling clean and fresh – so next time you open your wardrobe, take a deep breath and enjoy that lovely ‘just washed’ aroma!
Do you use powder, capsules or liquid to wash your clothes?