Key steps to removing nail glue:
Want to know how to remove nail glue from skin and clothes? Follow these key steps:
- Scrub, peel, or pick as much glue away as possible. Be gentle to avoid damage.
- Soak fingers and clothes in soapy water to soften dried nail glue.
- Choose your nail glue removal method - soap, detergent, and nail polish remover are all possible options.
- When removing nail glue from clothing, always test your cleaning solution on a small area first to check for adverse reactions.
When you’re putting on fake nails it’s all too easy to create a bit of a sticky mess – that’s why learning how to remove nail glue is really handy. Once you know how to remove nail glue from skin and clothes it becomes less of a concern. Here’s what to do.
How to remove nail glue from fingers with acetone
If you’re wondering how to remove nail glue from fingers, the easiest way is with a product containing acetone - like nail polish remover.
- Soak your hands in warm soapy water to loosen the glue.
- Gently scrub with an emery board to help remove raised glue residue or dried glue.
- Immerse the affected area in an acetone-based nail polish remover or place a cotton wool pad soaked with nail polish remover over it for around 10 minutes.
- Brush away remaining glue and moisturise.
Although acetone will break the glue down, it can be very painful if applied to damaged, cracked, or cut skin. Do not use this method of nail glue removal it in these situations - read on for our tips on how to remove nail glue from hands and skin without acetone instead.
How to remove nail glue from hands and skin without acetone
If you don't want to use nail polish remover to loosen nail glue - whether due to sensitive skin or another reason - then there are other options. Learn how to remove nail glue from the skin without acetone with these 5 steps:
- Wait for the glue to dry completely.
- Peel off as much as you can. Work gently to avoid damage.
- Soak your hands in a mixture of gentle laundry detergent - like Skip - and hot water for a few minutes. Make sure it is not too hot to avoid burns.
- Rub at the dried glue to loosen as much as possible. Then soak your hands again.
- Repeat the process of soaking your hands and rubbing the dried glue for a maximum of 20 minutes. Then give your hands a break to avoid damage.
How to remove nail glue from clothing
The above methods have taught you how to remove nail glue from skin, now let’s look at the best way to remove nail glue from clothing. We've outlined two methods of how to remove nail glue from clothing made of leather and other fabrics.
How to remove nail glue from fabric
Learning how to remove nail glue from clothes is a really useful trick as it’s fairly inevitable to happen at some point.
- The first step in figuring out how to remove nail glue from fabric is soaking your garment in cold soapy water.
- Once you’ve done that you can move onto scrubbing your clothes with a toothbrush. Use a clean, soft toothbrush that won't damage delicate fibres.
- Finally, pop the clothes in the washing machine with a quality detergent like Skip. As long as you’ve acted quickly that should be enough to remove it.
How to remove nail glue from leather clothing
Need to know how to remove nail glue from leather clothing? You can try the soap and water method for other fabrics listed above but you may find it is not quite as effective. If you're struggling to remove nail polish from leather, this method using acetone may work better:
- First, dip a cotton swab in an acetone solution - nail polish is a good option once again.
- Then, dap gently at the glue – don’t wipe! This can actually spread the stickiness.
- Finally, you should see the glue should start to lift off the leather. Once it’s gone, wipe the leather with clean kitchen paper to remove traces of acetone.
And that's it! We’ve looked at the best way to remove nail glue from your skin and how to remove nail glue from clothes so the next time you have an accident with your falsies you don't need to worry. And if you’d like to know how to get rid of nail polish from clothes, then we can help with that too!