One of the less joyful things most parents have to face at some point is bed wetting. While daunting at first, dealing with the smell and stains of urine is pretty straightforward if you tackle the problem quickly and know how to remove urine stains from mattresses.
Learn how to clean urine from a mattress and put this pesky problem in its place today.
How to get urine out of mattress: supplies
Learning how to remove urine stains from a mattress requires the use of a few common tools:
- Dry cloths or paper towels
- Baking soda
- Biological washing powder, like Omo, or distilled white vinegar
- Spray bottle
How to remove urine stains from a mattress step by step:
The following steps will help you remove fresh urine stains from a mattress while they’re still wet. If you’re looking for tips on how to clean dried urine from mattress, skip the first step.
- Remove any bedding and blot the mattress with dry towels to remove excess urine. Don’t rub the stain or press onto the mattress too hard to avoid spreading the urine around or pushing it deeper into the mattress.
- Mix a biological, high-strength washing powder like Omo with water. Make sure to always carefully follow the instructions on the product packaging and wear protective gloves when using a commercial stain remover. For a more natural solution, try using white vinegar if you don’t mind the initial strong smell.
- Pour the solution of your choice into a spray bottle and spray the affected area. Wait 5 to 10 minutes with the room well-ventilated to help get rid of any potent smells.
- Soak up the solution with several layers of paper towels and leave to dry completely.
Repeat the steps as necessary if some marks remain. If you find this method gets rid of urine marks, but not the smell, then there’s another top tip you can try: the secret of how to get urine smell out of mattresses is to use baking soda! Just sprinkle a generous coating over the area and leave it to sit for a several hours. Vacuum or sweep up thoroughly and you should find a clean, odour-free, surface beneath.