To clean an electric blanket, follow these key steps:
- Always remove the power cord and check if it is disconnected before washing.
- If using a machine, opt for a delicate spin at a low temp.
- Dry naturally and do not reuse the blanket until completely dry.
Choosing the right bedding can be tough, with so many different options out there. You have to think of style, fabric, colours, warmth and of course how to wash and keep them clean. If you’ve chosen an electric blanket this can be trickier than for regular linen.
Having got your new blanket home and enjoyed a toasty warm bed for a few nights you might start wondering ‘can you wash an electric blanket?’ and if so ‘how to wash an electric blanket?’ Well, never fear, we’ve got you covered! In this article we explain everything you need to know when it comes to washing a heated blanket and answer important questions like is it safe to wash electric blanket?
Can I wash an electric blanket?
Before cleaning electric blanket, it’s important to think of the safety elements. Clearly something with electrical features needs a bit more consideration when it comes to keeping it fresh than regular bed linen. But the good news is that most modern electric blankets can be safely and easily washed at home, either by hand or in the machine.
There are a few important things to consider because of the electrical nature of the blankets, however. Most importantly, you must always make sure that the power is disconnected from the blanket before getting them wet. Also, be sure to check the manufacturers’ instructions in case they have dos and don’ts for your specific kind of blanket.
How to clean an electric blanket
So now we know that it’s alright to go ahead and start washing electric blanket, the important question is how to do so. You can do most by machine or hand, but as discussed, always start by disconnecting the blanket from the power cord to avoid any risk. Be sure the blanket is turned off and unplugged. Before starting, also ensure the wire heating elements have not been dislodged or come through the fabric (if it has, don’t continue to use the blanket).
Cleaning electric blanket by hand
If you are washing an older blanket whose control cord cannot be removed, be sure not to submerge it in water at any point. For other types, follow these steps:
- Pre-soak the blanket in water.
- Then clean thoroughly with a good quality detergent.
- Rinse all the soap out by hand.
- Remove and avoid twisting or squeezing the blanket to get the water out as this could damage the inner elements.
- Dry naturally in fresh air.
Washing a heated blanket in a machine
Never machine wash electric blankets if the control cord is non-detachable. However, if other types
- Pre-soak the blanket.
- Wash on a delicate cycle for the minimum amount of time needed to get it clean.
- Avoid high water temperatures.
- Use good quality detergent and no other cleaning chemicals.
- Ensure the detergent has been rinsed out thoroughly before removing from the washing machine, if not, do another spin.
- Dry naturally in the open air.
Those are our top tips when it comes to cleaning an electric blanket. While South Africa isn’t cold for long, those winter nights can certainly be chilly, and a toasty warm electric blanket makes all the difference. Now you know how to care for your blanket, you’ll be able to use it again and again to keep your family warm.