Whether you’re cleaning headlights with toothpasteor other methods, follow these key steps:
- Decide which method you are going to use: conventional or DIY.
- If you’re going DIY, mix up your cleaning solution carefully and test on a small area first.
- Apply your chosen cleaner to the headlights and rub with a microfibre cloth.
- Rinse and dry afterwards. Always check the visibility is not affected before driving the car.
If you own a car, you know how crucial it is to keep your headlights in tip top condition. Perfectly functioning headlights are essential for driving safely, so in this article we will talk about how to clean headlights effectively and cheaply using things that you probably already have at home, like toothpaste or baking soda.
How to clean car headlights: The conventional methods
Having clean headlights is important. Not only does it make your car look better but it also is safer for driving at night. Luckily there are a lot of different ways to get them clean.
Here are the most conventional methods:
- Take your car to a cleaning station or car wash. Get them to give the headlights a good scrubbing. Remember it’s not just the outside of headlights that need a clean, it's also important to know how to clean inside of headlights. Ask if this is a service being offered.
- Clean your headlights yourself with a professional kit. These can be purchased from car show rooms as well as larger DIY and maintenance stores. They usually come with their own cloth. Simply follow the instructions that come with the kit and apply the cleaning solution with the cloth to your headlights for a thorough clean.
Home remedies to clean car headlights
Don’t want to pay someone else to clean your headlines or fork out for expensive products? Why not try these cleaning products that you’re likely to already have at home:
1. How to clean headlights with toothpaste
- Simply get an old toothbrush with soft bristles and place a pea-sized amount of toothpaste on top.
- Rub it over the glass of your car headlights firmly to create a light froth.
- Make sure the toothpaste achieves full coverage, then wipe off with warm clean water.
- Voila, your headlights should now be sparkling clean!
2. How to clean car headlights with baking soda and white vinegar
- Mix two parts white vinegar to one part baking soda. The two substances will combine and create a foam that acts as a great cleaning solution to buff up your car headlights.
- Apply the foam to the surface of the headlight using a soft toothbrush or cloth.
- Buff gently with a microfiber cloth, then rinse with plain water.
- Repeat as required until you’ve got the whole surface completely clean.
Now you know how to make DIY car headlight cleaner, there’s no stopping you. Try one of these techniques today and get your car headlights satisfyingly clean!
For more car cleaning tips, see our easy-to-follow guide to how to wash a car including some rather surprising ideas!