Creased shirts can ruin your outfit, taking you from smart to scruffy in no time. The last thing you want is to leave a bad impression because you look untidy but as long as you know how to iron a shirt properly you needn’t worry. Here’s how easy ironing a shirt can be.
How to iron a shirt
Before doing anything it’s vital to check the shirt’s label for ironing instructions. You may want to learn how to iron a cotton shirt, or a silk shirt, or a synthetic one – whilst you can follow our tried and tested ironing method below, each material can only take so much heat. Make sure you check the instructions for your iron too and put it on the correct setting.
How to iron a shirt step by step
- Wash your shirt, making sure any stains are removed as ironing could set them in further. OMO Active Auto Liquids is great at removing stains and will leave your shirt clean and smelling fresh.
- Set up your ironing board. Make sure it’s set to a comfortable height for you.
- Turn your iron onto the correct setting. Following the care label instructions.
- Start off with the collar. Work from the centre outwards to stop creases.
- Move onto the sleeves. Ironing shirt sleeves are often considered tricky, but with a clear method, it really isn’t. Start off by pressing the cuffs flat to the ironing board. Next lay the sleeve across your board with the seam flat and smooth out with your hand. Start with the narrow point of your iron by the cuff and work backwards up the arm.
- ron the back of your shirt. The trickiest part of the back is the pleats, so iron around them carefully. Flatten out as much of the shirt as you can and iron each section as close to the pleats as possible.
- Flip the shirt over and work on the front. Gently iron the button row by pressing the narrow point in between each one. Then lay each half out in turn, and work from the outside to the middle – go carefully around any pockets.
And that’s it: our easy guide to ironing a shirt. Once you learn how to iron a shirt fast with our step by step instructions you can be sure of a crisp look. Follow our simple ironing hacks and wave goodbye to creases.
Remember how to iron a shirt step by step with this handy summary:
- Wash your shirt and make sure it’s thoroughly clean before ironing.
- Check the care label on your shirt for the optimum iron temperature.
- Set your iron temperature and place your board at a comfortable height.
- Iron the collar and cuffs first then the sleeves and shirt body (back and then front).