As Ramadan approaches, it’s always good to get ahead and make sure that you’re prepared. From cleaning the house and organising meal schedules to preparing your mind and getting ready for fasting, our Ramadan preparation tips will help you stay on top of things.
How to prepare for Ramadan
There’s so much to do to get ready for Holy Month that it can seem a little daunting. You’ll feel much more confident when you know how to prepare, and Ramadan preparation is all about getting organised in advance so you can enjoy the festivities.
Here are a handful of our top Ramadan tips to help you and your family get ready:
1. Create a Ramadan checklist
Writing down the things that need to be done, and the things you’d like to achieve, is helpful for any Ramadan house. The following items should give you an idea of the sort of thing you might want to add to your Ramadan preparation checklist:
- Prepare food in advance. This will help everyone be organised and save you precious time and energy during fasting. It’s also one of our tips on how to reduce food waste.
- Give to charity. This is a great way to help each other. Organise clothes and other items you’d like to donate and start the Holy Month with a little act of kindness.
- Decorate your home. Get the whole family involved when preparing your house for Ramadan. Check out our Ramadan craft tips to get kids engaged in a fun way!
- Clean and prepare your kitchen. The kitchen is the heart and centre of the home. And the more prepared you are, the less you’ll have to do during the Holy Month, having more time to enjoy with your loved ones
2. Create a countdown to Ramadan
Part of getting ready for Ramadan is generating excitement for the family and people around you. Counting down for Ramadan will make the event part of the conversation and help friends and family look forward to the celebration. If you'd like to make the process funnier then why not create visual signs around your home or office? To keep kids engaged, create a countdown calendar for the days before Ramadan. Place a treat, fact about Ramadan, or task for them to complete behind each day to build more excitement.
3. Make a plan for your celebrations
Whether you’re planning to have lots of friends and family over during the Holy Month or prefer intimate celebrations with only your nearest and dearest, you need to think about how you’ll celebrate. The following Ramadan tips will help you get ready:
- Prepare yourself mentally. Start working on patience, reflecting on the Qur’an and your prayers to get you in the right spiritual frame of mind.
- Prepare for fasting. Voluntarily fasting in the days leading up to Ramadan can help focus your mind and prepare your stomach for the month ahead.
- Plan your calendar. Make sure to allocate plenty of your time for worship. Spare a few hours each week to help others, either by donating to charity or volunteering in your community. Plan the evening meals and get together with family and friends to share this moment.
- Make a meal plan. Think about the meals you are going to be eating during Ramadan, noting down the ingredients. Shop efficiently using your list to get exactly what you need, save time by not making constant trips to the shops and avoid food waste.
Once you’ve got an idea of how to prepare for Ramadan, the lead up to Holy Month will go much more smoothly. Our Ramadan tips will help you and the whole family get ready easily so that you can concentrate on the true meaning and purpose of this celebration.
Want to know how to prepare for Ramadan? Follow our key steps:
- Take time to think about what you want to achieve during Ramadan.
- Make a Ramadan checklist of things you need to do, and food you need to buy!
- Get the kids excited by helping with decorations and a countdown calendar.
- Focus your body and mind with healthy eating, voluntary fasting, and reflecting on the Qur’an.