- Use bleach to sanitise and remove odours from your rubber bath mats.
- When washing fabric shower mats, use a high temperature setting to remove any mildew or bacteria.
Shower mats provide safety and comfort by preventing slips and falls, but they can also become quite unsanitary if they are not properly cleaned. Dirty shower mats can lead to a buildup of bacteria, dirt and grime that can cause foot fungus and unpleasant odours. Luckily, cleaning shower mats is an easy task, and takes almost no time at all. This article offers guidance on the methods and equipment you’ll need to give your shower mat a good, swift clean and ensure that it is hygienic.
How concerned are you about disinfecting while cleaning?
Types of Shower Floor Mats
Most shower mats are made of rubber and can be placed on the floor of the shower or bathtub to prevent slips when someone is entering and exiting the area.
The term ‘shower mat’ can also refer to the rectangular piece of fabric placed directly outside the shower or tub that’s used to dry feet and prevent slips.
These two types of shower mats require different types of care.
Rubber Shower Mats: The Bathtub Method
Rubber shower mats can be cleaned in multiple ways, but one of the most convenient methods is by using your bathtub:
- Lift up your rubber shower mat so that it no longer adheres to the floor via the suction cups. Lay it at the bottom of the tub.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water.
- Put on rubber gloves and add two cups of chlorine bleach to the bathwater.
- Scrub your bathmat with a clean bristly brush.
- When you have scrubbed the entire mat (top and bottom), drain the water from the tub, and give both the tub and the mat a good rinse.
If your bath mat has visible mildew or unpleasant odours, it may be best to let the shower mat sit in the bleach solution for a few hours. Always remember to open the window when using bleach to allow for fresh airflow and follow the safety guidelines on the label.
Rubber Shower Mats: The Washing Machine Method
If you do not want to wash your shower mat by hand, you can easily use a washing machine to do all the hard work for you:
- Place your bath mat in a washing machine with a few other soft items, such as towels or washcloths – these will serve as scrubbers in the washing process.
- Set the machine for a gentle, hot cycle.
- When the washing machine has finished, remove the shower mat and hang it up to dry.
Remember: never place a rubber shower mat in the dryer, as the rubber will become warped and damaged.
Fabric Shower Mats
For the most part, fabric shower mats can be cleaned in the washing machine with other linens, though be sure to check the labels of your shower mat for any special care instructions.
- Launder the shower mat in hot water to kill any mildew or bacteria, and remove the mat to air-dry.
- For pesky stains, try a stain remover. Simply add to the affected area, allow the solution to sit for five minutes, and then wash as usual.
- Alternatively, use a laundry detergent with stain removing properties, such as Persil Bio, to help banish dirt and stains. Remember to follow the instructions on your detergent’s label.
It’s as simple as that. Your newly washed shower mat will be as fresh as ever.