If the weather outside is feeling a little chilly, you probably want to wear your feather down jacket. But do you ever avoid wearing it in case of spills and dirt, because you’re unsure how to wash a down jacket? We have some great tips for cleaning up bothersome spills and stains so read on for our guide to how to clean a down jacket and tips for drying a down jacket afterwards.
How to wash your down jacket
There are some quick and easy steps to wash your jacket, including how to hand wash a down jacket if it is not machine washable. With our simple guide for how to clean a down jacket you can have it looking as good as new and ready to wear.
- Always check the manufacturers labels for washing instructions, as they will show what temperatures and recommendations are given for washing your down jacket.
- First, remove any loose dirt with a soft bristled brush.
- If your jacket can be machine washed, set your washing machine to a cold, gentle setting such as the wool delicate wash.
- Check the manufacturer labels for specific detergent requirements, or pick a gentle detergent like Persil Non Bio.
- If there are particularly stubborn stains, spray a stain remover directly onto them before washing your down jacket.
- Turn your jacket inside out before loading it into the washing machine.
- Put your jacket on an extra rinse cycle to make sure that all soap residue is removed from the jacket prior to drying.
- If you’re looking for how to hand wash your down jacket, soak it in the sink with a specialist detergent for around an hour, before rinsing it by squeezing out the water gently. Take care not to wring the jacket as this can damage the down feathers.
- When drying down a jacket, use a tumble dryer on a low heat setting with dryer or tennis balls. If you don’t have a tumble dryer at home, use one at the local laundrette.
- You can allow your jacket to drip dry, but this can take a long time. Even with a tumble dryer, it can take up to three hours for your down jacket to be fully dry and ready to wear.
With our top tips for washing a down jacket, and getting it dry after, you can wear it every day when it’s cold without worrying about spills and dirt!