How concerned are you about disinfecting while cleaning?
The flu is a nasty virus to catch, and so it is important to keep an eye out for signs of flu so it can be treated early and you can avoid passing it on to other people. Here are some tips for how to get rid of the flu and prevent the virus from spreading.
7 early signs of flu
There are seven easy-to-spot symptoms of the flu virus. These are:
- A fever temperature of 38°C or higher
- Coughing and an uncomfortably sore throat
- Blocked and / or runny nose
- Aches and pains in your arms and legs
- Headaches and / or migraines
- Cold chills even in a warm environment
- Upset stomach resulting in vomiting and / or diarrhoea.
7 tips for how to get rid of the flu
To counteract the unpleasant symptoms, here are seven top tips for how to get rid of the flu:
- Keep yourself hydrated: The quickest way to get rid of a cold is to increase your intake of vitamin C and fluids and help your immune system fight the virus.
- Rest up: By resting you allow your body to build up natural defences. Pushing through your symptoms may prolong how long you are ill for.
- Blow your nose as often as possible: Clearing your nose into a tissue will help to remove any excess mucus from your nose and sinuses. Be sure to throw the tissue away to avoid spreading the virus.
- Gargle with salt water: Gargling salt water can help to soothe a sore throat, as will adding teaspoon of honey in hot water and lemon juice, or sucking on boiled sweets.
- Use steam: Pop some eucalyptus oil into a bowl of boiling water, placing your head above the steam and a towel over the top to contain the steam.
- Have a bath: Creating a DIY detox bath using Epsom salts, baking soda and powdered ginger mixed with the hottest water you can stand is a great way of sweating out a flu fever.
- Seek medical help: A flu virus cannot be treated with antibiotics; however, if your symptoms last longer than two weeks or you suffer any difficulty breathing, sudden dizziness, severe or persistent vomiting or seizures, you should seek medical advice immediately.
7 tips to stop the flu virus from spreading, and prevent you from catching it again
Though you now know how to get rid of the flu, if you have caught the virus, you need to try to avoid passing it on to other people; as well as learning how to prevent the virus from returning and making you ill again.
- Keep your vaccinations up to date, especially if you are pregnant.
- Be sure to keep your hands clean, and wash them regularly.
- Sneeze and cough into the crook of your elbow instead of your hands, and avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose where germs can be passed immediately into your system.
- When you’re unwell, try to stay home so that you don’t pass the germs to other people.
- Eat lots of protein which provides the building blocks for your immune system.
- Clean the surfaces in your home and work space regularly, even if they look clean.
- Avoid touching surfaces such as public stair banisters, which likely harbour tonnes of germs.
Now you know the signs of flu to look out for as well as how to get rid of the flu, and these tips will help you prevent the spread of the flu virus as well as stopping you and your family catching it again.