If your due date’s fast approaching, baby proofing your house should definitely be on your to-do list. While toddlers are more notorious for getting their hands in places they shouldn’t, that doesn’t mean you should leave your safety proofing until your newborn has reached that milestone. Act early and make sure your home is safe for baby.
When should you start baby proofing your home?
Start baby proofing your home as early as possible, but definitely before they start to crawl as this is when they’ll begin exploring your home.
How to baby proof your home
Learning how to make your home safe for children is mostly about limiting risks by investing in stair gates, fitting locks on cupboards, and being aware of what surfaces they can reach that might pose a potential danger.
Here are some ways you can start baby proofing your house to make it safer:
- Use furniture straps to secure large items in place
- Put corner bumpers on furniture with sharp corners
- Add hinge covers to doors and cupboards to prevent little fingers from getting stuck
- Cover your plug sockets to stop little ones sticking items in them
- Keep your cleaning products secured in a cupboard well out of reach
- Clear up toys from the floor regularly
- Install stair gates when safety proofing home for baby
Keep your home clean and tidy when you have a baby using gentle cleaning products as much as possible. Try using all-purpose wipes or warm water around your home and a mild detergent and fabric conditioner, such as Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure, on clothing. You should watch out for hidden dangers – such as hot drinks left near the edge of tables!
Now you know how to make your home safe for children it’s time to start preparing your home for your new arrival!