Giving your newborn baby their first bath may feel like a daunting task, but once you have the right products to use in order to protect their sensitive skin, and some tips for how often to bathe a newborn and tricks to get washing a newborn right, you’ll be fine. Have a read through our beginner’s guide to how to bathe a newborn baby so you can feel confident washing your little one from their first bath.
How concerned are you about disinfecting while cleaning?
When can you start washing a newborn baby?
As long as your baby was born full-term and healthy, you can give them their first bath within just two hours of birth, but be sure to keep it no longer than ten minutes. Many people, however, prefer to wait until the umbilical stump falls off and heals.
How often to bathe a newborn
When it comes to knowing how often to bathe a newborn, the most important thing to understand is that it doesn’t need to be every day! Topping and tailing is a great way to make sure your baby is clean in between bath times.
What do you need for a newborn bath?
If you are topping and tailing, all you need is:
- A bowl of warm water
- Cotton wool balls
- A soft, clean towel
If you decide to use a baby bath, all you need is:
- A baby bath
- Warm water
- A soft sponge or wash cloth
- A thermometer to check the water temperature
How to bathe a newborn baby safely
Washing a newborn is easier than you think, following these easy steps:
- Be sure to have everything you need ready and within reach before you put baby into the bath.
- If topping and tailing, use cotton wool balls and warm water to clean their face, hands, neck and bottom.
- Gently pat your baby dry with a clean towel, paying careful attention to any creases.
- Try to bathe them in a warm room.
- Always check the water temperature.
- Mix the water well to ensure there are no hot spots.
- Always support your baby’s head throughout bath time.
- If your newborn seems scared or cries during bath time, try bathing together, as this will comfort them.
Now you have some tips for how often to bathe a newborn and tricks to get washing a newborn right, you can be safe in the knowledge you’ll be ok when you decide to start bathing a newborn for the first time.