- Rest up.
- Keep hydrated, especially water or drinks high in vitamin C.
- Keep your home and work clean and virus free using products like Domestos.
- Regularly wash your hands, especially before and after coming into contact with anyone who is unwell.
We’re always looking for ways to get rid of a cold fast, especially as they can be difficult to shake off. Here are some great tips for getting rid of a cold and stopping the virus from spreading.
Top tips for how to get rid of a cold fast
There are five top tips for how to get rid of a cold:
- Stay hydrated
The quickest way to get rid of a cold is to increase your intake of vitamin C and fluids and help your immune system fight the virus.
- Rest up
Rest allows your body to build up its natural defences and trying to carry on despite your symptoms could prolong how long your remain ill.
- Soothe your throat
A teaspoon of honey in hot water and lemon juice, sucking on boiled sweets or gargling salt water will help to soothe a sore throat.
- Work out
Most viruses will only survive up to 37 °C. Raising your body temperature will help to sweat out your cold.
- Get a chest massage
Warming oils, like sesame oil, will help to relieve congestion when massaged into your chest and upper back; a great first step to getting rid of a cold.
Top tips to stop a cold from spreading
Once you know how to treat a cold, there are four ways you can help to prevent a cold from spreading.
- Ensure your vaccinations are up to date.
- Thoroughly wash your hands, especially if you’re visiting someone you know is unwell.
- If you need to sneeze or cough, use the crook of your elbow or a tissue instead of your hand.
- If you are unwell, staying home will help to prevent other people from catching any germs you are carrying.
Top tips to prevent having to find ways to get rid of a cold in the future
The best way to get rid of a cold may be to try to avoid catching one in the first place.
- Ensure there is plenty of protein in your diet, as it is a staple building block for your immune system.
- Any surfaces that are touched by lots of people are covered in bacteria that could make you ill, so even if they look clean, be sure to regularly clean them with anti-bacterial cleaner.
- Avoid touching surfaces which are touched regularly by lots of people, such as public stair banisters.
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly, especially if you come into contact with someone you know has been or currently is ill.
- Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, mouth and nose as germs on your hands can be passed immediately into your system.
Knowing how to treat a cold and being sure that you know how to get rid of a cold fast are the first steps in ensuring that you don’t spread the virus to other people. Now you know key ways to get rid of a cold, you can use these tips to focus on preventing you and your family from catching more in the future.