- Keep laundry detergent locked away in a cupboard or out of reach of little ones.
- Always follow the instructions given on the packet and handle laundry capsules with dry hands.
- If your child swallows a capsule, seek immediate medical help. See our advice below.
Kids see the world differently. They don’t just want to look at things, they want to touch and taste them too. But their curious nature can often lead them into trouble, especially when it comes to household chemicals.
Laundry capsules are sealed, which keeps the detergent away from our skin and eyes, making them super-handy for us. However, that doesn’t make them safe for children who might want to put them in their mouth or touch them with wet hands – action which could result in them getting laundry detergent in eyes or on skin.
Follow our tips for safe laundry detergent storage and use laundry capsules away from little ones to prevent them from these risks.
How concerned are you about disinfecting while cleaning?
Laundry detergents safety: How to use them
- Laundry detergent storage is the first step in protecting your kids. Keep these chemicals away from children by placing them out of reach or in a locked cupboard – even if you’ve warned them not to touch them.
- Close the pack properly. You should hear it click when it’s safely shut.
- Put the capsule directly into the washing machine and close the door immediately so small hands can’t grab it.
- Always store capsules in their original packaging.
- Do not pierce, break or cut the capsules.
- Use dry hands when handling capsules. They’re designed to dissolve rapidly on contact with water.
- Always follow the instructions for laundry detergent safety given on the packaging.
What to do if your child eats a laundry capsule
- Seek immediate medical help.
- If your child is not vomiting, Do NOT try to induce vomiting.
- Check for the symptoms of laundry detergent poisoning. These include: difficulty breathing, swelling of the throat, lip and tongue, burns or rashes on the skin, vision loss, vomiting or a burning sensation in the throat, and severe stomach pain.
What to do if your child gets laundry detergent in eyes or on their skin
- Carefully rinse the area with water for several minutes.
- Seek medical help.
What to tell the doctor
When seeing a doctor because your child ate a laundry capsule or got laundry detergent in their eye or on their skin, you may be asked for specific information. This is important as it can help identify if laundry detergent poisoning is a risk for your child and determine the treatment they receive as a result.
Make sure you can answer the following questions from your doctor:
- When did the accident happen?
- What symptoms does your child have?
- What first-aid have you performed – if any?
- How old is your child and how much do they weigh?
- Does your child have any allergies?
- How much of the capsule contents were swallowed or splashed onto skin or in eyes?
- What is the product brand name?
If you can, take the original packaging with you to help identify the laundry detergent ingredients.
Now that you know how to keep kids safe by keeping your laundry detergent storage safe and secure and avoiding getting any laundry detergent on skin or eyes, you can enjoy convenient washing without the worry. For more tips on baby- and child-proofing your home, check out our guide here.