Nine months may sound like a long time, but it goes by in a flash! From the day you first discover you’re pregnant to the moment you hold your baby in your arms, you have a lot to do and much less time than you may think to do it. But don’t panic! Everything you need to know about what to do before the baby arrives is right here, so get ready to take some notes. This is important stuff!
Baby things to buy before birth
To start with, you’ll have to make a pregnancy checklist before the baby arrives with everything you need to buy. Here are just some of the essentials to get you started:
- Clothes (including sleepsuits, vests, socks and scratch mitts)
- Large cotton blankets
- Muslin cloths
- Nursing pillow
- Breast pump
- Baby bottles
- Formula (if formula feeding)
- Changing pad
- Baby wipes
- Baby-friendly laundry products: kind-to-skin and hypoallergenic detergent and softeners are the ideal option for babies, such as Persil Non-Bio or Comfort Pure!
Things to do to prepare for a baby
When it comes to pregnancy, you should definitely be spending a lot of time preparing. Let’s start with the practical things to tick off your list.
- Things to do on maternity leave before the baby arrives: preparing your home should be your first to-do item (after, of course, you’ve bought all the essentials). Create a safe, comfortable place for your baby to sleep. Make sure you’ve got plenty of space for changing mats and floor mats, as well as enough storage to keep all your supplies tidily arranged. Not only will this prevent accidents but having a tidy home will also keep your stress levels low!
- Wash baby clothes before birth with gentle laundry products: it is recommended to wash all of your baby’s clothes, blankets, and other washable items before giving birth. This will help remove any substances that may be harmful to your baby, whether the items are new or second-hand. By washing them with baby-safe, hypoallergenic laundry products you avoid getting your newborn’s delicate skin irritated when in contact with the fabrics for the first time. Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure are good sensitive options that keep your skin protected and your clothes clean and smooth!
- Putting together a birthing plan is one of the things to do while pregnant. Also, think about what will happen once you come home from the hospital – do you want to have visitors? What about food shopping? Planning in advance will help you be less stressed. Remember that you can ask for help if you need it, too.
- Fun things to do before the baby arrives: this involves things such as decorating the nursery, putting together a registry, or picking out name ideas!
Take the time while preparing for your new arrival to enjoy your pregnancy and become excited about your growing family. It’s easy to get stressed if you don’t let yourself find happiness in the little things, so savour setting up their bed or buying their first teddy!