- Create a cleaning rota template so that you can easily update and change chores each week.
- Keep a chore list for kids to hand so you have an idea of chores to give them all around the house.
- Offer rewards to your children when a task is well done.
Finding chores for children is a great way to give you a break every now and again, as well as teaching them invaluable life lessons such as how to be responsible and independent. This article gives you examples of activities and strategies to make household chores fun for you and your children – from tidy up games to reward charts. With them knowing cleaning up as a fun activity, you can be even more relaxed about letting your kids get messy while playing at home.
The ultimate chore list for kids
There are so many chores that your children are able to take care of, in rooms all over your house. These include:
In the bedroom
- Making their bed in the morning.
- Putting their dirty washing into the laundry basket.
- Tidying up books and toys.
In the kitchen
- Helping you with baking or cooking.
- Putting the food shopping away.
- Washing up.
In the living room
- Dusting and cleaning low surfaces.
- Sweeping or hovering the floor.
In the bathroom
- Changing over towels and bath mats at least once a week.
- Restocking the toilet paper.
Tidy up games
When it comes to getting your children involved in household chores one of the best ways to do it is to make it fun. Here are two tidy up games you could try.
- If you have more than one child, bringing out their competitive side could make them enjoy doing chores by turning it into a race and offering a reward for the child who gets theirs done first.
- For younger children try getting them to tidy up by biggest first or in colour order –
for example: all the red toys first. This is not only fun but also educational.
Should you have a children’s chore chart?
Creating a children’s chore chart will not only help you keep track of who is in charge of which chore but also give you the option to put a reward system in place. Sometimes, even the best parents need to bribe their kids.
Now that you have a great chore list for kids and tops tips for including your children in chores around the home, you can get them started right away! Make household cleaning and organising fun!